• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please advice: Simple 2.6 ->3.0 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motionk1

Hey this is my first after a week of learning from this forum. I am trying to oc 2 systems right now (2.6c and 2500 barton) so my head is spinning and would like some help from some of you pro's...

Anyways I am using my 2.6c for video editing with Premiere Pro, a program that recommends using 3.0 cpu's so that's what I want to oc to. I am not greedy at all considering that this is my first oc and I just want something super safe and solid.

My set up:

2.6c
abit Is7n-e
1g of 3200 kingston value ram
cooler master copper hsf

I would like to just push fsb to 231 at 1:1 but is that a good route to take on my ram? I've read a review saying that they could actually oc decently despite its "value" name. Or should I give in and go 5:4?

I would like to stay 1:1 on stock timing but if its not possible please advice on whether I should go for a lower fsb at 1:1 or a higher fsb at 5:4. All help is appreciated as I am an info freak by nature. Thanks!

I would say that it depends on how high your CPU & RAM can go, whether you want to run 1:1 or 5:4. If your RAM tops out at 215 FSB and your CPU can do 250 FSB, then you would probably be better off running 250 5:4 than 215 1:1. But if your RAM tops out at 225 FSB and your CPU tops out at 230 FSB, then you would probably be better off running 225 1:1 than 230 5:4.

What I would do is set your memory to run at 5:4 or even 3:2, so that it is not the limiting factor while you overclock your CPU. Once you see how high your CPU can go (max FSB speed), then lower your FSB speed back down to 205-210 MHz and set your memory to run at 1:1. Now you can start increasing FSB speed again to see how high your memory can go.

Hey thanks!

I guess right now you're the only one willing to share some knowledge. Anyways I figured that my kingston valueram won't hold beyond 220 fsb at 1:1 so I just went to 5:4 to try and get a nice and easy 3.2 at 246 fsb (mem back to 396 at this fsb)

2,6c@246
vcore tested from 1.5 all the way to 1,7

pc3200@198x2=396

mem timing tested from being relaxed all the way to tightened all the way...

I could not get this setup to run prime stable past 10 mins...
everyone else on every board seems to be able to get these nubers easily...what's going on? Are they simple not testing on prime?

argggh.....

A lot of people test with Prime. If it crashes no matter the voltage you're using, you have to look elsewhere. All in all, it looks as though it could be your RAM, but we'll expore some other options.

First, have you increased your VDIMM (voltage to the memory)? You might wanna set your RAM to 3:2, just to make absolutely sure that it has nothing to do with the RAM.

What kind of thermal interface material are using between the CPU and the HSF? Your HSF should be fairly warm at the top of the fins, but if it's very hot, I'd say you have a heat issue.

Also, do you have your PCI and AGP frequencies locked in the BIOS? Also, what are your voltages in the BIOS?

vdimm's been raised to 2.7
apg/pci's been fixed
ga=a a a d d

I used artic silver 3 for the thermal thing and the thing never gets over 51 while in prime. 32 right now.

Just to test my mem I'm having it at 1:1 with fsb 216 with no prob in prime. I don't really want to push further since I'm not sure what might happen as these are the "valueram".

So now I'm sure the ram works at 432 in 1:1, could there still be a chance that it's the mem thats failing at 396 in 5:4 (with fsb 246)?

If I can't run my pc3200 at 5:4 near its rated 400 speed, I don't see a point in oc'ing the fsb. I'm already giving up memory bandwidth and I certainly don't want to lose mem speed as well...

230 @1:1 with my pc3200 valueram....Am I crazy? Also I've heard that 5:4 doesn't work so well for abit boards so.....

Thanks for the help so far!

Back