• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop rob?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simo7923

Registered
I've just aquired an Acer 1353xc laptop. It has a mobile ahtlon xp 2400+ processor and 256mb DDR Ram as well as an ATI 64 Gfx. The thing is when i booted it up nad checked the processor speed in the my computer properties in xp it showed the processor as a 2400+ but the actual speed is 350Mhz. Whats going on here as i cant change any settings in BIOS. Gonna get the FSB/Multi etc once i install WCPUID. Is this normal

What does it say right as the computer is turning on, during the RAM test?

Welcome to the forums.

Welcome to the Forums!

Does your laptop have any power settings or speedstep in Bios you can adjust?

Try going to the Manufacturers website and download the latest BIOS updates and all the other updates to start there.

It does say that it is a 2400+. From what i've been looking at the mobile athlon are pretty poo and dont touch 1 gig. there are no overclocking options in the bios. whether some software may link with the motherboard is a different matter though.

It could be the speedstep stuff gone weird. Check for a way to keep the chip at full speed either while plugged in or while on battery and see if WCPUID gives you a different reading too.

You should either get a new bios, or reinstall the cooling device. Speedstep is like thermal-throttling for Intel, it lowers CPU speed when the CPU gets too hot. Maybe the fan has died?

Mobile 2400+'s are barton cores that run at 1800mhz by defaut.

Actually speedstep is to save battery power. It is set to lower clock speed while on battery power. There should be a way to change the settings for it. I would suggest looking up the manual for the laptop online and reading it to see how to change it and then running WCPUID to see if it is reading correctly:D

my brother-in-law has a mobile athlon 4 1 gig that slows itself down through software.just sitting its at 500mhz but start any program and it jumps up to 1 gig.with that said run wcpuid and start the media player.

i booted up wcpuid on idle and it showed a muliplier of 8 and system clock of 132. about 1 gig. once i ran media player the multiplier dropped down to 6 with the same system clock. now runing at 796mhz and no change after closing media player. oh and its rare that the fan comes on. mainly only on booting up.

Sorted it i think. After looking on sites i found that its called AMDPOWERNOW. The system underclocks itself when the processor isnt in use to conserve battery power. Knocks it down to a multi of 6. I got around this by setting the power settings to 'always on'. Now the multi is always 13.5. Cheerz for the help guys.!!!!

You might like to turn it on when you are out and about, since it is quite handy to save battery power when all you're doing is using MS word or browsing the internet.

Back