• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS on 3DMark2001

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghazghkull

I have an AMD Athlon 850. I havnt OCed it yet, I plan to this wknd. I have a ASUS K7V mobo, Asus Nvidia 64MB AGP V7700 DDR SGRAM, Maxtor 60 gig 5400 :( , Integrated sound unfortunetly and 512 mb of PC133 ram. I have a couple questions. How should I go about OCing the computer. Should I Tweak the FSB? Its only at 100mhz. My mobo is badass, all the OCing features are in the bios for the most part. I ran the 3DMark2001 and got anywhere from 1-30 FPS on the benchmark. I am wondering what it should be at with my current system? Also how I should go about OCing the computer this wknd and what cooling methods you all suggest. I dont want to go hella expensive, maybe 100-150 max. Any suggestions would rock, first timer to the site and boards. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
I can tell you as a n33b myself around here that this is the place to be. These ppl will help you in a way you've never been helped. No tech support is this good, I assure you. As I have not had your system, I'm not going to be loads of help, but if you are using 3dmark, they have an online dbase with comparison machines.
If you try SiSoft Sandra, it can give you some better info for comparing to other post 'round here, also the Quake demo will give you some good FPS nfo.
Again, welcome!
I have a 1.4 'bird @1703 / 1.8v
2 sticks of DDR
A7A266
Vision Geoforce 3
and a bunch of other stuff I can't mention because my wife is here ;)
OH yeah, I'm water cooled, I did have a 156w pelt, but I fried it, I'll be doing that again real soon. I'm waiting on my thumb to heal :)

killem1x1 (Aug 02, 2001 07:33 p.m.):
Welcome to the forums!
I can tell you as a n33b myself around here that this is the place to be. These ppl will help you in a way you've never been helped. No tech support is this good, I assure you. As I have not had your system, I'm not going to be loads of help, but if you are using 3dmark, they have an online dbase with comparison machines.
If you try SiSoft Sandra, it can give you some better info for comparing to other post 'round here, also the Quake demo will give you some good FPS nfo.
Again, welcome!
I have a 1.4 'bird @1703 / 1.8v
2 sticks of DDR
A7A266
Vision Geoforce 3
and a bunch of other stuff I can't mention because my wife is here ;)
OH yeah, I'm water cooled, I did have a 156w pelt, but I fried it, I'll be doing that again real soon. I'm waiting on my thumb to heal :)

Thanks for the info. My target for this wknd is to take the 850 to 1 gigahertz. What should I need in the way of cooling to do this? Also what should I attempt to overclock first, the FSB or the chip? Any hints or tips would be great guys. Also anything paticular with athlons that I should watch out for etc. Anything a n00b would find interesting, thanks.

welcome to the forums! I too am quite the newbie here, but I can offer a little bit of wisdom I think...

when overclocking cooling has to be a priority, so make sure that you have a good heatsink/fan... if you are using just the stock heatsink/fan that comes with your computer, then going to 1 Ghz may make that chip wayy too hot... A good heatsink/fan isn't too expensive and I think most of the people on the forum here with agree with me that it is very important... I haven't tried overclocking yet because of my already ridiculous temperatures... (see the signature below...) If you have a good HSF then you should be alright...

where did you get your name from? I play WH40K as the Orcs so that name caught my eye immediately...

For around $100- $150, you'll be able to find/make a pretty good watercooling setup. If you want to save some money, try getting a very good heatsink first. If the temperatures are too high for your liking when overclocked, then consider watercooling.

For overclocking it, check out Beginner Guides on the front page. There's a wealth of information and you should learn pretty much everything you need to know. Welcome, and happy overclocking

Blizzard has a good kit for a beginner.
DangerDen has the best block imo, but they do not have customer service at all. Good Products+BadResponse times= Me not buying from them.
Blizzard:virtualhideout.net
Good products+Awesome response+flexible shipping+a little bit higher price= I've bought almost 1k in stuff over the last month, and they always answer the phone during normal hours.

Okay this is majorily disturbing, With my system I get like 950 score with 3DMark2001. My system should easily do twice that from what I have seen. I havnt OCed it yet, doing that later today, but something has to be wrong here. I have installed the new detonator drivers for the video card as well as installed directX8. I have the latest bios flash, mobo drivers etc. I cant figure out why it sucks so bad, the benchmark lags through most all the tests. Any advice guys, I need some help with this one. Oh and yes the name came from WH40K but I havnt played that in 5 years, the name just stuck with me. Ghazghkull Thraka :)

The best place to go for info on the K7V is www.k7v.com. The guys in the forums can answer just about any question for you. I used to own a K7V and wish that I still did(couldn't find one anywhere). The Alpha P7125 is the best heatsink for the slot (in my opinion) but if you want to do it right go check out the water kits at www.cool-computers.com. Water cooling is fun and the water blocks allow you to add active cooling to the northbridge chip. You'll also need to rip the case off of your cpu and get a GFD.

from what I remember about the old slot A's the K7V will do about 115 on the bus speed, most guys used a GFD that daughters to the CPU card , as far as teh low 2001 scores, try checking out "powerstrip" and see what your video card is actually doing

Try setting your video card at the defaut settings
No AA
Best image qulity
V sync off

And use default settings for 3dMark
What drivers are you using for your video card?

With my set up I am getting 6175 in 3DMark 2001 so make the changes to your card get the newest drivers and go for it

Try, what you can reach with the fsb, I could get my CPU run at 126 Mhz FSB with my trusty Abit KA7...But normally, a GFD is the Way to go with a Slot CPU, GFD's are available at E-bay for very reasonable prices...
For cooling get one of the Alphas or the Global Win VOS 32 which is in my opinion at least equal to them..
Theres some test somewhere on this site...

Back