• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sending and running programs to an entire district

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Ok, the thread located <insert linky> should explain some of this. But, what i am really trying to do, is borg an entire school district with the F@H client. That is if i get permission of course. But im not going to even ask until I know what exactly to do. I would really like to know alot about networking, types of networks, and how to send and run files accross them. Also, im wondering if it is possible for me to send it to an entire school district or if i will have to just do it one at a time at every school. Also, Im wondering how to do that. Ive tried searching and searching and i couldnt find much, so it would be great if you guys could tell me what I need to know, or the names of what i should search for, for what I need to know.

Ok, that might be a bit much of a glob of questions so ill organize it all out a little.

1.) What types of networks are there?

2.) How do I send files across them and install them on all the comps networked?

3.)Can I even send a file such as the F@H client accross an entire school district and install it from one location?

4.) If so in number 3, anyone know how?

5.) If you cant answer any of these questions but do have a general idea of terms I should search for so I could learn this, what might they be?

TIA!

I dont expect you to answer all of these questions, but if you can answer one of them go for it.

@md0Cer said:
1.) What types of networks are there?
There's many different ways of categorizing them, but most commonly 2:
Peer to Peer - No central server, each computer has it's own logins and passwords, configuration usually varies between computers.
Server-based - Where a server exists to store files, printers, and logins. Your login ID would work on any computer because they would all log you in with the server. The rest of this post assumes it's server-based:

2.) How do I send files across them and install them on all the comps networked?
Depending on the setup, there can be lots of ways.

If your school board has SMS, you could get the board to create a package and push it out through SMS it to all the computers. (or another tool of a similar nature)

If not, then if it's a Win2k/2k3 domain that all of the computers are on, the board could create a package and use RIS to have the computers pull the package.

To do it manually, you could connect to a computer's hidden harddrive share, upload the files, then either use AT to schedule it for system startup, or, if you can make it a service, use AT to run files to make it a service, then use the NET command or MMC to enable and start the service remotely.

3.)Can I even send a file such as the F@H client accross an entire school district and install it from one location?
You can, but you'd be better off getting them to create a package of some kind for you. That way, it would be automatically installed when new computers are added, and the school boards are usually a little more central of a location.

4.) If so in number 3, anyone know how?
If it's via a package, then it would need to be shared somewhere (usually on a fileserver). If it's via manual/batch copying via the NET and AT commands, it can be done anywhere, because it's a push, not a pull. (you are pushing it to the computers, opposed to the servers pushing it to the clients

5.) If you cant answer any of these questions but do have a general idea of terms I should search for so I could learn this, what might they be?

If this goes through, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be in charge of it. It will become a project of the board office, and the techs there would take over, and do it.[/B][/QUOTE]

Ah thanks. I kinda get it. So I really wouldnt have to worry too much becuase they would probably do it. Well, I might just write the letter and see what happens, if I have any further questions ill probably ask, but thanks that just about answers it for now.

Cheers!
-@0C

I like what su root said about SMS. I have hands on expirience with SMS and have to say, it is a VERY handy tool to distribute programs to be executed on all machines on the network. ;)

Back