• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 New Boxes, routing advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_Man

well the fates have smiled on me and i ended up with 2 p3's just recently, both with mobos and heatsinks and memory and all that yummy stuff.

BUT

My internet is this really ghetto verizon dsl crap that is networked through something called a "homeportal." It works like this:

HOMEPORTAL DSL BOX>>>>Main PC>> via a LAN>>My PC & Sister's PC

How would i possible work a linksys router thing into there?

appreciate your time as always.

Not sure what the home portal thing is but how I do it is like so;
Connect all the PC's to the router, configure the router with your dsl info ie; username, password etc. Most dsl uses PPPoe unless you have a static IP address, if you do, I hate you :p Connect the uplink from the router to the dsl modem. Done.

Most DSL needs PPPoe as Nik said,so make sure the router can do that negotiating for you. It needs to support PPPoe, not all routers do.

Ok, for further reference though what is PPOoe?

PPOoe:
Acronym for Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet. PPPoE relies on two widely accepted standards: PPP and Ethernet. PPPoE is a specification for connecting the users on an Ethernet to the Internet through a common broadband medium, such as a single DSL line, wireless device or cable modem. All the users over the Ethernet share a common connection, so the Ethernet principles supporting multiple users in a LAN combine with the principles of PPP, which apply to serial connections. Acronym for Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet. PPPoE relies on two widely accepted standards: PPP and Ethernet. PPPoE is a specification for connecting the users on an Ethernet to the Internet through a common broadband medium, such as a single DSL line, wireless device or cable modem. All the users over the Ethernet share a common connection, so the Ethernet principles supporting multiple users in a LAN combine with the principles of PPP, which apply to serial connections.

Also, can they be connected to the LAN part of the thing that me and my sisters computers are attached to? not sure how the rest of my family would react to me screwing with their internet.

http://home.comcast.net/~bturmelle/diskless.html

Like could i make one of the P3s into a server and then connect the other one to that and then connect the server to the LAN?

Last edited:
Back