• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi, welcome to the forums if noone's said so already. I hope you enjoy your time here - everyone's friendly and ready to help, and no question will be considered too stupid. That's the PR out the way ;D

Only you can answer this question really. There's two types of overclocker as I see it - those who do it for the extra speed, and those who do it for the hell of it (hobbyists like myself). If you're just doing it for the speed, at 1.33gigs you probably won't notice an increase much as other parts of the system will be too much of a bottleneck in most apps. So if you're not bothered about the bragging rights, you're risking damage to your cpu (and maybe other components) for the sake of a barely-perceptible performance increase.

However, if like me you just want to see how fast you can make the cpu go, and don't care if reducing its lifespan by a number of years only gives you an extra 100 or so 3dmark points, then by all means oc away. If you're going to oc though, just remember to keep a good eye on your temps - speaking of which, what are they now? Try to keep below 50, preferably closer to 40, though even that is getting harder to do with the high-speed high-voltage top end cpus nowadays.

If you decide you want to oc and need some help, just post with your system specs (important things like mobo, RAM, cpu speed, voltage settings etc) and I'm sure someone here will be able to help :)

As said by Rob, welcome to our forums.

Things to start looking at are what board that you have. Then take a look in the AMD motherboards section and look for other folks that are also using the same board as you and similar chips. Look at what memory people are suing in the memory section - and how far it goes. Look at the kind of cooling that people use to get the best results - these will be the things that contribute towards a good overclock.

I wish you well and once more greet you with open arms.

Back