• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting 2 Routers . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
What I have done is plugged in a second router I have into the first one using one of the 4 ports on the first. The computers on the second router can see the net and each other. . . the 3 computers on the first router do the same. I want to be able to allow all the computers on BOTH routers to see each other and thus share data. The two routers are: 1st::Linksys BESFR41, 2ND:: NetGear RP114. The Netgear is plugged into the Linksys. I can change this if need be. But the main question is how can I get all PC's on BOTH routers to see each other? Thanks to all

Z

if it's your intention to expand the nodes on your network and use one of the routers as just a switch,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You will need to hook one router's wan port to your broadband device (dsl/cable modem)

Use a patch cable from one switch port on router A to a switch port on router B.

Disable the dhcp server on router B, so only router A is handing out addresses.

Plug your other pc's into ports on Router A or B - they will be on the same network and see each other

I have done this but when instructing the 'slave' reouter NOT to use DHCP it rendered it useless. I had to hard reset it to get it back as I could not access the settings anymore. I know the first router sees the other connections but I still cant access across the two routers.

Shut it off or just disconnect it? I ask as Im sure upon restart of the Linksys it will try to auto detect the Netgear. When I did this before I ended up not even being able to access the Netgear setup at all(thus i couldnt undo the settings without a hard reset to the Netgear). . . from ANY PC.

I have just done this. I rebooting the machines on that router. Do I need to re run the Network Setup Wizard again on those machines?

Samne results. Another hard reset. Seems when i run the setup wizard it freaks out the netgear. hmmmmm

First make sure all on same workgroup, subnet.

Check your config of the one you want to be the switch and DMZ it and check port forwarding.

Same on the designated router check your ports/forwarding and firewalling.

I did check this and all are on the same workgroup. As far as subnet mask I think you may have something. . problem is I am rather new to networking. On the linksys reouter I know where those settings are. On the Netgear it seems if I change ANYTHING it becomes stupid. I thought it could be a bad router and thus exchanged it. . SAME results.

Back