• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opening ports on Linksys BEFSR41

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nerd4life

hey guys,

My little brother bought the new Final Fantasy XI game a couple of days ago. Well first set of cd's he bought were bad and the game wouldnt install. Now with new cd's, the game is installed but we are unable to make it to the character creation screen. All is does when we click "character creation" is stay at a black screen. Tech support says we need to configure our router and open ports 50000 to 65535. ( LINKSYS BEFSR41) ...

I thought ports were open to all on outgoing traffic, and tried to look in there to open those ports for incoming traffic and all I can find is port forwarding. Anyone know anymore about this ?? I'm a bit lost at the moment. =/

Tim

port forwarding is for incoming and outgoing data. the forwarding just means it forwards the ports to the IP adress you set it up for. its pretty straight forward, they have guides over at linksys.com for this router about forwarding one port, or a range of ports

thx. i tried this earlier but it didnt seem to work. may try and play with forwarding some more.

for ports 50k to 65535. if those packets are sent to only one computer on the internet, will that interfere with any of the other computers on my home network ?

tim

Back