• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loosing heatercore fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
In another thread, it was mentioned about running a heatercore without a fan would escalate temps until cpu death. That thread is locked and I do not care to bring that discussion here (so please don't).

Well, being the ever curious sort that I am, at 10:30 tonight, I unplugged my fan.
Some of you may remember that my heatercore is in the cool basement (cellar really) below my desk, so you might not expect the same temps, but I wouldn't think it'd be too far from 10C higher. It hangs vertically so air can't flow too well through convection, but I do have some copper tubing in my case that may act somewhat like a secondary cooler.

By 12:00 I got tired of waiting for it to stabilize (patience is a virtue, but I'm not that virtuous), so at 37C and idling, I kicked in SuperPI to load it. Temps went up to 39C and stayed there until 1:30 when I got no change for an hour.
Once I stopped SuperPI it promptly went back to 37C and is sitting there now.

My normal temp with this waterblock (Gemini low-flow) is 27C while I'm waiting for my new block top's paintjob to dry.

Point is, there's hope for systems who's fan dies, and passive cooling isn't that hard to accomplish. Maybe I'll try some copper tubing next, hanging from the rafters in the basement.

Thought I'd help play around too :p
Unplugged my fan and let it idle=rose by 3 deg C
running prime 95 now= after 10 mins 8 deg C above normal

That is pretty cool. Passive cooling is a great idea and I hope to see more of it around here.

One time I forgot to plug in my pumps and didn't really even notice a difference for about 20 min. The temps were slowly getting up there (I don't remember what they were) but it didn't get that bad. I have since made it so that my pumps go on with my system. There is a thread in here where someone is talking about no having a pump and using the natural convection currents to move the liquid. ( i know this has nothing to do with fans, but it is kind of related)

ya know, it seems like passive is definitely an option for me (- PSU and case fan) keeping in mind:
1. its a touch chilly in old canada right know, it being winter and all
2. i'm also in the basement.

I'm now sitting 13 C above normal,... still torturing w/ Prime95

at this point I hear a 5v 92mm sunnon and temperature controlled psu fan, going very slow....umm i THINK i can hear my pump in there....:D

diggrr, hows your temps doin?

They stuck at 37C surfing around here, so I just plugged my fan back in 3:00 (8 minutes ago). The temps are down to 32C already. :cool:

Ya'll have a great day (or night), I've gotta get some sleep for Turkey day number two.
Today's was with the in-laws, Friday's is at the out-laws (my parents). :D

I've turned off my fan in the past, and didn't see much difference. It seems like as long as there's SOME airflow through the core, then your temps are better. With my Panaflo U1A, I don't see more than 1-2C difference between 7v and 12v.

This is very interesting. Never realized that this could be true. I've tried real slow fans, but never turned them totally off.

I've had the no pump thing happen, though. My DP560 doesn't like 50hz so it over heated. All of a sudden, everything was quiet and my system went from about 28 C to about 34 C. I had enough time to reload office xp before shutting it down.

I put my heat core fan on a reho and low and behold the reho has a bad connection. So when I went to check my cpu temps it was at 114 (usually at 100 with the fan on)

It must have been off all day long while I was at work. Thank god for my chevy rad and 20 feet of tubing uh?
Rob

I'll have to try unplugging the radiator fan.

I've thought about running dual fans (push/pull) to maintain airflow even if 1 fan stopped working, but the case is cramped in front already. Maybe the exhaust fans would pull enough air for safety. Interesting test idea.

I always plug all the extra holes in my cases, like behind the front plastic bezel. In that case, any other case fan left running would leave some airflow (whether in or out) for the rad to do enough to keep it alive.

This, by the way, isn't for the hardcore overclocker. A 10C temp increase might crash you, but at least it'd live...

Back