• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows doenst detect every GB :( ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoxioN

so i have this 160gb maxtor drive and my ata controller card reads it as 157gb but in windows it only reads it as 127gb? i have a nf7-s v2 board, how do i get windows to detect the full amount? im using latest v19 bios if that matters.

make sure you have winxp sp1a...

then goto the control panel and administrative tools...then computer management then disk management...then you will need to format the remaining ~30gb or so that should show up here...

this thread should shed some light: http://forum.oc-forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242257

also this microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

I guess this is the main thing you need:

redduc900 said:
You'll need to enable "Large Drive Support" by editing the Registry. Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | atapi | Parameters

In the RH pane, you'll need to add a new DWORD called...

EnableBigLba...with a DWORD Value of 1

The following MSKB article describes the 137GB limitation, and how to enable 48-bit LBA in XP pre-SP1...

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP

The above Registry edit enables support for drives larger than 137GB in W2K pre-SP3 and XP pre-SP1. It's needed anytime a HDD larger than 137GB is connected to the MB's ATA bus, regardless of any BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA. :)

dustybyrd said:

yeah, i think i meant sp1...but did you try the rest of the administrative tools stuff?
yes, and no luck.

thanks shiyan, i'll read that.

ok so i tried a ton of crap and no luck. still shows 127gb. I did the spla, and add EnableBigLba...with a DWORD Value of 1. i even read the MS page and tried..

To enable 48-bit LBA support by means of an unattended installation with the Microsoft System Preparation (Sysprep) tool:

Copy the following text into Microsoft Windows Notepad and save the text as the 48bitLba.inf file:[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=48bitlba.Add.Reg

[48bitlba.Add.Reg]
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters","EnableBigLba",0x10001,1
Create a file named Cmdlines.txt, which includes the following lines:

[Commands]
"rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\48BITLBA.INF"

But i failed there cuase i didnt find step 3. from there i was lost. I couldnt find that folder on my pc so now im stuck. any ideas?

When you installed XP, did you press F6 during the first part of Setup (when asked if you need to install SCSI drivers)--and install the included drivers for the controller card, which your 160GB Maxtor HDD is connected to?
If your hard disk controller requires a third-party original equipment manufacturer (OEM) driver, press F6 to specify the driver. For additional information about how to use F6 to supply a third-party OEM device driver during Setup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Limited OEM Driver Support Is Available with F6 During Windows XP Setup :)

Last edited:
no i didnt but do you think if i take it off my controller and slave it to the primary IDE it will show all 160gb?

JDXNC said:
Perhaps you could make it into 2 partitions?
doesnt matter if i make 100 partitions, windows only sees it as a 127gb drive. :(

redduc900 said:
When you installed XP, did you press F6 during the first part of Setup (when asked if you need to install SCSI drivers)--and install the included drivers for the controller card, which your 160GB Maxtor HDD is connected to?

Limited OEM Driver Support Is Available with F6 During Windows XP Setup :)
you were right about the ata controller. I slaved the drive to my OS drive and windows now reconizes the full amount thanks.

this is odd, after windows now sees the drive as 160gb i put the drive back on the controller cause i thought maybe a drivers update for the controller might work as well but i guess it didnt need it :) now even on the controller it still reads as a 160gb drive.

It seems, that:

1. Your BIOS doesn't support 48-bit LBA HD addressing, which is necessary to get access to HD space over 128G.

2. Your BIOS supports it, but you have disabled it in it.

Try checking your BIOS for some option like "48-bit LBA addressing" or similar.

But I am afraid, that the first option is the cause of your troubles.

Btw, do you have updated your BIOS to the latest available?

klenot said:
It seems, that:

1. Your BIOS doesn't support 48-bit LBA HD addressing, which is necessary to get access to HD space over 128G.

2. Your BIOS supports it, but you have disabled it in it.

Try checking your BIOS for some option like "48-bit LBA addressing" or similar.

But I am afraid, that the first option is the cause of your troubles.

Btw, do you have updated your BIOS to the latest available?
already solved thanks.

Back