• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP wil not load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wado1

my friend just bought a new computer but instead of going with a new hd he decided to use his 80 gig hd with XP already installed and numerous other stuff from his older cpu..

the problem is when we start the computer up, windows asks if we would like to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking or last known config

no matter what we pick, windows just reboots....it never loads up

PLEASE HELP!

It isn't working because you are moving a windows xp installation between two completely different computers. The only way that will work is "maybe" if you have similar motherboard chipsets, otherwise I only recommend doing it to machines that are exactly the same.

He will need to reinstall XP to get it working, there is no way I know of to get around this problem.

Exactly, I remember doing this to windows 98 back when I upgraded from a k6-2 500 system to a T-bird 1Ghz system, Windows went insane when it started to detect all the new hardware...

However this swapping does work well between NF2 chipsets, just figured I'd add that in..

If you have the ORIGINAL install disk, you could try to "repair" the installation. It'll detect and install all the hardware automaticaly and leave everything else alone.

Back