• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

True core speed (slot a)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpkeith

Hello everyone!

I'm new here so forgive me if this topic has been covered before.

I have a Slot A Athlon K7 Classic at 750 MHz that I have overclocked to 919 MHz using a TD2. I've set the CPU frequency to 900 MHz, Vcore to 1.75 V, and upped the FSB to 102 MHz. I've also successfully overclocked it to 937 MHz by setting the TD2 CPU frequency to 850 MHz, Vcore to 1.75 V, and the FSB to 110 MHz, but decided a higher CPU frequency and lower FSB would be less stressful on the system. It runs rock solid with conventional cooling and has for several months now. CPU temps never get over 106 F. Not too bad, I suppose, and I'm quite pleased with myself, but I'm looking for more (isn't everyone?). I've heard these 750's can overclock well above 1GHz.

Here's my dilemma. I'm trying to figure out what the true core frequency of my processor is. When I removed the processor case to install the TD2 I also removed the heat sink plate to take a look at the actual processor core itself. After cleaning off all of the heat sink compound, I noted the markings on the processor core for future reference in helping me identify it's true core speed. The markings are as follows:

K7100CNRBEA
002SWPGW

Again, these are the markings on the actual processor core itself and not on the side of the case. If the same conventions hold true for the core markings as the case markings, does this mean I have a 1000 MHz core? If so, why is the highest stable CPU frequency I'm able to acheve with the TD2 only 900 MHz? Anything higher and I don't even get a POST, even if I increase the Vcore incrementally as well.

The markings on the case look like this, and these are the ones I've used to determine Vcore, temp, fab plant, date and the like:

K7750MTR52B A

These I don't have a question about, it's the ones on the processor core that have me baffled.

I really appreciate any assistance any of you can give me. You guys are my last resort. No one else has been able to help me.

Jim

I wasn't aware AMD put Duron's in the slot A configuration, but then again I'm probably not as proficient as you are in identifying processors.

Another question, am I doing the right thing by lowering the FSB and using a higher CPU frequency?

ive never heard of a slot a duron either, dont think they exist, and if you do indeed have a classic athlon and not a thunderbird athlon then your l2 cache is packaged next to the cpu and not on die, when this is the case, the cache runs a a divided speed of the cpu,

during the classics day, overclocking was limited by the capability of the l2 cache, even if your core could easily do 1k+ (and not that many did without extreme cooling) it was limited by cache speed, i think there are programs that allow you to change the divider for your cache, or there were when these chips were popular, good luck in your quest to 1ghz.

ps, you might want to consider moving to a newer mobo and cpu, even low end ones, the performance of more modern chipsets and cpus is really worth the cost

I see. So if I want to get any more speed out of it I'm going to have to change the L2 divider from 2.5:1 to 3:1, correct? Or is it 2.5:1 to 2:1? I'm not very good with ratios. I think I ran across some cache divider software someplace but I can't remember where.

I'm still interested in finding out what the markings mean on the core cpu itself. Any ideas?

I'd love to buy a new processor and mb, but i'm just a poor college student trying to make due with what I have. :(

thanks for the info. i greatly appreciate your expertise in the matter!

Some are weeks of production codes others are from 1999 when Athlon Classic first came out. We talk about new codes here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

You know this place is made to help poor college students out, for mere $50 you can get a brand new Toroughbred B shipped to you free no tax if you know what & where to look for. When you consider that $50 can get you a CPU that can overclock way up toward the 3000+ range in theory, it may be worth it to skip out on something else and maybe get it.

nForce2 mobo, you can get used or brand new for $47 here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...manufactory=1442&description=&srchFor=nForce2

Cheap PC2100 DDR RAM is plentiful so if you want to work one weekend maybe, you can have a system that is quite a bit faster than the 750 MHz one you have now...

thanx for the info. this is more or less just a hobby for me as i'm not a gamer or anything, i really don't need the speed, i just want to see how fast i can make this old thing go just for the sake of doing so.

besides, i like learning as much about this stuff as i can, you know?

i'm still looking for L2 cache divisor software, if any of you can clue me in, it would be muchly appreciated!

well, according to tomshardware, who used to be somewhat reliable, the option for cache dividers were in your motherboards bios, if they arent there as options then it sets them automatically, with a 5/2 ratio for 800-850mhz and a 3/1 ratio for 900+ mhz. maby your mobo has an earlier bios that did not have support for the 5/2 or 3/1 cache diverders? what motherboard did you have?

http://www.voodoofiles.com/3389

Im not entirely sure but the 100c after the K7 on the core translates to 1000,.... SO you "Should" be able to set the multi to 10, BUT I know for a fast that the classic slot As external cache didnt run half the core speed, AMD changed the L2 divider...to like 1/3...

Oh wait I see the chart....Well its a little off...No mention of the thunderbird slot a's...

BTW I was wondering where you got your TD2?

Hope that helps...You should set the multi to 10.5 which is the highest multi for slot a's and FSB to 105...

Oh yea...WCPUID has a tweak to adjust the L2 speed in windows....

Last edited:
Angry, I thought the same of the 100C too, but the highest I can set my multiplier to is 9 w/ a FSB of 102, otherwise I don't even get a post. I got my TD2 from www.highspeedpc.com , they're the only place I could find one. Cost me about $40 w/shipping. Very nice. I'd recommend them to anyone. Thanks for the info on WCPUID

Supertrucker, I have the Biostar M7MKE w/ award bios, which I think I flashed sometime in the past, not sure which version. I can't find anything to adjust the cache dividers.

I just downloaded and installed WCPUID and tried to change the cache divider but it didn't appear to take. Looks like it might not be possible with my MB.

Last edited:
No go with MAthlon. It wanted me to boot from a floppy everytime I started my computer. Huh? Never worked. Any more suggestions?

Back