• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Someone over at Web Hosting Talk wanted an answer to this question, trying to help him out.

"I am on a internet access biling plan based on the quantity of data transfer. So I would like to know how much data is downloaded/uploaded to/from my system for processing per day. Also how much time approx my system may take to process one unit of data downloaded. "

Thanks everyone.

Matt

Well I think the average WU is about 1MB maybe less, as i'm sure you know the processing time depends on how fast his computer is! So I doubt he has any problems there, I wa over there a second ago and noticed they had ideas of making there own team :(

I believe the average DOWNLOAD size is about 350K, but the finished WU upload size is about 1MB. Uploading always takes longer for me, but only about 40 seconds on DSL, on dial up it could take about 3-4 minutes.

uploading data varies as always...but i believe most uploads won't ever be above 1 meg....possibly less than that....it now takes me about 5 seconds to upload a wu from my systems :D

scoobs

Nah, its just they didn't know that we were all going to join as one team. Its fine now.

Matt

interactive said:
Off Topic:
Another WHT fool here. Just wondering how long it usually takes to complete a "WU"? Thanks

Greatly depends on what system its being run on, as a General guide it takes my machine running at 2100+ about 15hours (judging by my current work unit)

By the way Welcome to the team!

-Chris :)

Welcome to the fold!!!

This does depend greatly on the type of CPU. Stanford sets a time deadline for each unit, and in order to meet the deadline, the minimum CPU is about 200mhz, and such a machine would have to run 24/7. Some machines can do 2 WU's day, some do a wu every couple of weeks.

Also it depends on the type of wok unit. There are two categories that use different fahchores for processing. One core (78) can utilize SSE and 3dnow! instructions, so on newer CPUs these type of wu's (called gromacs) will fold much faster. The standard type (core 65) are called tinker WU's. You can tell the difference by looking at the fahlog file. Tinker Wu's usually have 400 frames, while gromacs wu's usually have 100. There are dozens of different projects (different proteins being studied) within these two types of WU.

If you have a P3, Celeron of 566mhz+, duron of 1000mhz+, athlon of any type, opteron, or P4- you may want to use some optional flags when lauching your folding client in order to select gromacs work units as your work unit of preference so that your machine is more productive.

You can do this by editing a shortcut used for starting the client.

-advmethods (this selects gromacs projects whenever they are available)
-forceasm (this forces SSE on AMD cpu's, Intel cpu's don't need it. It can cause instability on Thoroughbred or Barton cores so its not recommended.)

Back