• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Dimension 4600 series(add vid card?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

My Girlfriend's parents just got a Dimension 4600C. It is so sweet. It seems to perform well, looks slick, and is silent as far as I can tell. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows whether you can add a vid card to this comp, like a radeon 9700-9800?
Thanks

I'm too lazy to do it myself, but find the motherboard model and if it has an AGP slot a Radeon would fit in there quite nicely.

Although an upgraded video card may be able to fit in this machine (not sure if it has an AGP slot or not) it is likely that the power supply might need an upgrade to be able to handle it properly. It isn't uncommon for prefab machines like dell, gateway, compaq, etc to have really skimpy power supplies (like 250W type of thing). Also, if you do upgrade the vid card AND the power supply isn't beefy enough, check with dell first to make sure if this is one of their proprietary power supply / mainboard things. Wouldn't want to stick in some good normal power supply and maybe damage it and or the mainboard hehe. Good luck.

Nope, you just need a riser. It turns the card 90 degrees, right over some of the PCI slots.

This motherboard only has one PCI slot and the powersupply is directly under the motherboard. It's possible a card could fit here but from the drawings it does'nt appear so.

Back