• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with login Scripts in AD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
I've just setup a win 2k server, for a local company.

There are 5 OA units, each with a group policy assigned.

I know the policies are working as I have folder redirection setup and everything is going where it should.

The problem I have it login scripts, I've tried adding them to the individual user accounts and to the group policies.

In the user profiles I've tried

I've tried local paths

eg. d:\scritps\banking.bat

I've tried network paths

eg. \\jmc-s0001\scripts\banking.bat

In the group profiles I've tried

Local paths

eg. d:\scritps\banking.bat

Network paths

eg. \\jmc-s0001\scripts\banking.bat

Putting the script in the script folder for that policy

ie. banking.bat

And they are still not working :(

Anyone have any ideas ?

Logon Script = logon.bat
will automatically find it in \\[domain]\NETLOGON\logon.bat

eg: If my domain is "TED", then it will look in \\TED\NETLOGON\logon.bat
TED will resolve to the nearest DC, and logon.bat (along with everything else in there) will be automatically replicated to all the other DCs.

If you want scalability, (ie: so you don't have to change the logon script when you move a user), try Kixtart.

You would have everyone point their logon scripts at logon.bat. Place kixtart in NETLOGON, and have the logon.bat script use kix. Kix can check what groups they are in, and run stuff based on that. Your kixtart config could check what group they're in, and run their logon script(s), or drive mappings, or whatever based on that.

Sample:
IF INGROUP("Domain Admins")
RUN DomainAdmin.bat
ENDIF

Edit: Also, it's good practice that the first two lines of logon.bat are:
@ECHO OFF
BREAK OFF
so that no commands are echo'd to the screen, just the results of them, and that the user cannot stop the logon script with CTRL-C or the close button.

Last edited:
Su root you are a star

I had the scripts in the netlogon directory, it was the fact that I was putting a path in front of them.

I had it working on a previous install and could not work out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks again, this has been bugging me for 2 days.

Back