• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just noticed this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Sorry if this is old news, but gigabyte seems to offically support Prescott cpus in thier mobos. i know people had posted links to show the 8knxp running prescotts, but now gigabyte even claims it.

LINK look at F7 bios description

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm

EDIT: DONT GET F8 BIOS!!!!!!!!! i can't boot with them, stay away from them for now.

Last edited:
Hmm great!
Could you tell me if the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe supports Prescott proccessors?
I thought the Prescott would be using the 9nm proccess.

unix and linux said:
Hmm great!
Could you tell me if the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe supports Prescott proccessors?
I thought the Prescott would be using the 9nm proccess.
yes, i want to know for sure too... i heard from 1 guy that it MIGHT..

I just checked with ASUS and yes its compatible with prescott.
I think all motherboards that support 800fsb is compatible with prescott since prescott uses 800fsb

There was some question for a while whether Intel would make the Prescott compatible with the socket 478 and the i875/i865 chipsets. For now, it appears that the first generation Prescotts will be compatible with most major mobos (with a BIOS update). The second generation of Prescotts will be a different socket type and will require a new mobo to match.

I wouldn't believe to much of what there telling you. Intel just said that the new prescott's are going to use even more power then what they first said. So by the time they finally come out, if they ever do come out who knows if they will really work

My p4c800 e deluxe says it will work with the new prescotts but I'm not counting on it to work when they do come out

Also at least Abit is showing that only certain speed prescotts will work with todays motherboards and all speed prescotts on other ones.
And some of of us might still be S O L because eary revisions of some abit bourds wont support any prescott (like mine :( )

souces of info: altec computer

abit PDF found @ said site :prescott support

Surfeit00 said:
from what i've seen, prescott is going to be really really bad...
how is it going to be really really bad? they obviously wouldnt release the cpu if it wasnt better than the cpus now. so it will have to be an improvement (maybe not power consumption-wise.. but i could care less as long as it performs better)

someone said they run really hot at stock speeds already... which i guess hints at low overclocking ability.

stan03 said:
someone said they run really hot at stock speeds already... which i guess hints at low overclocking ability.

Or points to a higher thermal rating... Everyone continues to think that the next offering is going to somehow be less OC'able than the previous gen. I remember that same whining on the P2 -> P3's, and even the P3's -> P4's. Here we go yet again.

Yes, new chips run hotter. Yes, they suck up more power. YES, they don't always work on previous generation motherboards. YES, THEY ARE STILL GETTING BETTER.

100 people read your one opinion, and then repeat it.

Each one of those people tell that opinion to 100 others, and then those 10,000 others repeat it out. Each one of those people repeat that opinion again, and again, and again, until a whole mass of people form the cult of the overheating processor that can't overclock and will suffer from catastrophic thermonuclear meltdown and will overclock not even ten mhz from it's original speed.

Repeating an abused and unsubstantiated opinion sometimes has it's downside... :)

no i didn't say it wouldn't overclock, i just said it may not have the potentials like the 2.4Cs that people have running at 3.6gigs.

The absolute newest fabrication of a new chip doesn't usually have 50% overclock potential... THe brand-newest P2's didn't, nor did the brand-newest P3's, nor did the brand-newest P4's. But they all eventually came into their own, now didn't they?

Its something I guess well have to wait and see for. Originally I didn't want a the prescott but that might change when they come out if they do more then what early tests have showen. Then again it all has to fit into my current mobo since I'm not going to buy a new one til the new socket comes along. Mmm Teja's hehe

the first prescotts are going to run slower then the chips that you can get now (something like 2.8, I even heard about a 2.6) but there going to have a bigger cache. any prescotts that end up running faster then what is currently available are going to be a different socket. so it dosen't matter if the board says it can handel the power if the chip won't fit.

not that thats a bad thing, it's pretty normal to have to up-grade your mother board to use something new but the manufactures should be more honest.

Back