• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird floppy/bios Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pedro69

Registered
Hello to all

I have a weird problem with one of my PC's. The bios doesn't find the floppy drive. I already checked the drive in another PC and it works there, I also changed the cables three times and reseted the cmos. All without any success. At last I checked the PSU but it gives me a normal voltage. So basically I went out of solutions for this problem and thought maybe one of you can tell me what is wrong with it.

Does the floppy drives light come on at all?

The floppy controller on the motherboard could be shot.

Or the BIOS settings could be incorrect. Try installing the drive with a known good cable, enter your BIOS, and make sure that it is set for the proper drive. Also make sure that if there is a setting for "Floppy Drive IRQ Can Be Free", or something similar, it is disabled.

The LED doesn't come up at all. I checked the bios settings several times and they appear correct. The cables where the first thing that came to my mind so I tried three different (one was still originally packed). But as I said everything without success.

How can I check if it is the floppy controller on the Mobo?? And if it is the controller can it be fixed?

Thank you very much for your reply!!!

If the drive and cable work on another computer, and not on this one, I'd say that leaves the motherboards floppy drive controller as the last culprit. Unless there is some chance that it isn't getting any power? You might want to make sure the power connector you're using is live with a meter.

If the controller is bad, I doubt it can be repaired. Hopefully you can RMA the motherboard.

Or live without a floppy.

I checked the power cable and it has power (5V) the thing is that this computer already blew out two PSU in one week (right now it seem to work). I think the whole thing is related, but that is just a thought. Anyway Thank you very much for your help I really apreciate it.

Back