• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Time: Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Ok, for starters, check my sig for my current system. Im planning on doing a major upgrade consisting of the motherboard, CPU and ram.

I am planning on going with a nForce2 Athlon XP system. I am working under a price cap of about $250. In my first configuration i would get an Abit NF7 with a 2500+. The second option would be an Abit AN7(nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset) and a slower chip like a 2000+ or 1900+. The first option seems better to me but im just curious as to how important the Ultra 400 version of nForce 2 is to performance. I am open to motherboard types and manufacures but the Abits are most appealing to me right now.

For ram im looking to some buffalo, crucial, or kingston PC2700 in a 512MB stick that may be doubled in the future for a nice performance upgrade sacraficing the short term boost of dual channel for the gain of performance in the long run that i cannot afford now. I was hoping to be able to get some PC3000 ram in the budget for some overclocking headroom but i dont think that will work unless i cut back processor costs. Basically this comes down to a question of how well the different manufactures will overclock and how far i will be able to push them. I would like to get the FSB up as high as possible but since im using an Athelon XP on nForce 2 i will be able to raise multiplier if ram becomes a bottleneck.

Cliffnotes:
-NF7 and 2500+ or 2400+ OR AN7 and 2000+?
-In the case i get the NF7 2500+ OR 2400+?
-Which brand of ram should i get for best o/cability?

Go with the NF7 and 2500XP for motherboard and CPU, you might want to check out the Epox 8RDA3+ which is a great nforce 2 ultra board, but definately go with the 2500XP over the 2400XP unless someone comes up with a way of activating the extra 256 cache on the thorton core(2400XP) For Ram I would go with Crucial because its just a high quality ram and great for overclocking, its what I use. You might want to try for the PC3200 though because its helpful if you want to push that FSB

I just checked the prices at NewEgg. Although this is $20 over what you stated still would be a good setup. Plus you can sell your old stuff to recoupe the extra that you had to spend.

ABit NF7-S

AMD 2500+

Muskin 512meg PC-3200

I would stay away from the AN7 until ver. 2 comes out. Look over in this thread and see what everyone is saying about it. It's nasty :(

Last edited:
thanks for the warning on the AN7, sounds like ABit f'ed up majorly this time around. Since im 16 and too much of a computer nerd to spend time working most of this will be coming from my parents so a pricetag of 274 might work if i really go for it. And if not maybee i can add some of my moneys in to the consideration. Thanks for the advice.

Back