• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something to ask here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctty

I got a DM+60 Maxtor on my HPT372 controller. Is it possible to move this drive to the onboard ATA133 controller(on the NF7-s) w/o any loss in data? I am changing to a NF7-S from my KD7-RAID. The drive is not in RAID configuration. It is operating as a single drive.

Last edited:
Well, it's quite possible that your OS will be corrupted. However, you shouldn't actually lose your raw data, you'll just be unable to boot into Windows. Repair install might fix that...I'm not really sure about that though.

I would not risk it. I did that and I corrupted my entire HDD. I forgot to attach my blank HDD and transfer the data. If you have the access to an extra HDD, boot into the extra one and then transfer the files to the extra. After finished getting what you need, then, you should format the HDD and start all over again. I really regret not going through this. I lost a lot of valuable data, including some important College Applications. :cry: Not I have to start all over again.

i doubt there will be an issue going from an ide connection, to the sata connectors, however, there is the issue of the hdd and windows being setup for your current motherboard, and therefore, cannot effectively run the new board. that's where you may have an issue....

i say back up your data, and give it a try afterwards. you might be able to install windows over windows, and install the drivers for the new board, and so on, but i think a clean install would be a better choice.

i have a max2 motherboard, and i had no problems at all with my os, and hdd, and files when i went from my raid ide connectors, and connected to the sata connectors on my motherboard. my raid controller is an hpt374, which is the same as yours, but yours is 2 channel, and mine is 4 channel. i believe mine had no issues because it is the same board...you plan to swith boards, and i see trouble there......back up first, just to make sure. ;)

Last edited:
Back