• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to clean silver paste from carpet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Optic

Registered
When i removed my heatsink to change CPUs, I had to wipe off the old thermal paste from it with paper towels. However I misplaced the paper towel on a the carpet and some of the silver paste got on it. This was very hard to see at the time, since silver does not contrast well in light pink. Now over a 2 week period, the area where there was paste has turned to black (from oxidization presumably). How can i clean it off?

You should be able to use any normal carpet cleaner on the market. I have used Resolve in the past and it works well.

1) Pro-solve.
2) Why is this in cooling? (Don't answer that, I know why, it's because it's cooling thermal compound and we don't have a section called "Carpets and Upholstery". :rolleyes: )

Any cleaner you have in your house that is a degreaser and safe for fabric will work. The silver is not the problem is the grease that holds the sliver together that is sucking up the dirt and what not making your carpet look stained.

Try using some lighter fluid. The naphtha in it works like a charm. Or if you can get your hands on it just use pure naphtha. Should dissolve the grease really quickly.

Try a clear dish detergent and water followed by a spot remover like Resolve.

Nevin House
Arctic Silver, Inc.

eobard said:
we don't have a section called "Carpets and Upholstery". :rolleyes: )

Well, we should. I'm sure overclockers have great interests in home furnishing and decorating. We could invite Martha Stewart to be a admin then. :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, clean it well. You don't want to have strange spots on the floor when people come in :D.

lol. i guess the forum should open a separate section for this kind of problems. just joking.

Back