• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd mod to make it removeable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trip0d

another idea got me thinking..but how the chances of success are...making a hdd a removeable hdd..besides the usb/firewire..how does the hdd differ and could it be done...im guessing not

also the standard hdd cannot be a laptop hdd correct..even with mods to it..

im bored as u can see

The trick is to make the operating system recognize the drive and to make the hardware not self destruct when you plug in or remove the drive.

Unless you are an experienced programmer who can mess with the operating system and an experienced hardware designer who can develop a hot swapable interface connecter, you will be relegated to using already developed technology that runs by USB or Firewire.

There are hot-swappable removable hard drive cages availabe, but they will obviously not work with the main OS drive, and they're only available in SCSI, Firewire, or USB 2.0.

And for your second question, laptop hard drives use a 44-pin connector and there are inexpensive IDE adapter available. here's one for $7. I've built 3 machines with laptop hard drives since they're extremely small, lightweight, and almost silent.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
There are hot-swappable removable hard drive cages availabe, but they will obviously not work with the main OS drive, and they're only available in SCSI, Firewire, or USB 2.0.

And for your second question, laptop hard drives use a 44-pin connector and there are inexpensive IDE adapter available. here's one for $7. I've built 3 machines with laptop hard drives since they're extremely small, lightweight, and almost silent.

so as a hdd is usually 5400 would i be able to use a 7200 and still fit it inside the laptop

trip0d said:

so as a hdd is usually 5400 would i be able to use a 7200 and still fit it inside the laptop
no. he's talking about adapting laptop HDs into desktops, and you're talking about modding desktop HDs into laptops. What you're asking cannot be done, I don't think.

Every laptop HDD that I have used wasx 4200RPM. and I have 3 systems running right now on them. Contrary to popular beliefe here where I live, you CAN set one as a slave, so you can have a system running multiple Laptop HDD's.

Mike

pummer said:
no. he's talking about adapting laptop HDs into desktops, and you're talking about modding desktop HDs into laptops. What you're asking cannot be done, I don't think.
Laptop 2.5" hard drives = 5V
Standard 3.5" HDD = 12V

not gonna happen

well there is no way that you can put a desktop hdd into a laptop... they are completely different form factors. the laptop are 2.5" and the desktop are 3.5" you can easily make a laptop hdd work in desktops though...

one problem with making a hdd removeable is that you need to be able to connect the ground wires before the hot wires. if the hot wires connect before ground, you can kill components. that is how sata connectors work... that's one of the ideas with sata... making the sata drives removable... i had a website that talked about it... i'll see if i can locate it...

*edit: here is the link: http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/sata150/8.shtml *

Back