• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore fluctuates and other anomalies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kidd636

Registered
Just 2 quick questions here:

1. I tried setting my vcore at 1.65v (max on my P4S8X-X), I then run CPU-Z and notice that my actual ~1.712 and varies at .010 or so, but it's pretty much stable at that value. BUT the moment I run Prime95, it suddenly dips to ~1.612... a 0.1 dip! It stays at that value during the torture test duration. Then it goes back to ~1.72 only after quitting Prime95. Is this normal? If not, what's the culprit then? PSU (i'm using Enermax 450W)? CPU chip? MoBo?

2. Lastly, my P4 2.53Ghz won't POST the right value above 160FSB. It maxes out at 3.04Ghz (160FSB). Anyway FSB higher than 160Mhz WILL STILL display 3.04Ghz. Once again, is this a CPU chip limitation? MoBo?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It seems lately a lot of ppl are reporting this type of thing with the hyperthreaded enabled procs. I too have seen this and have heard some various suggestions to stablize it but it seems to be fairly normal

Z

Kidd636 said:
Just 2 quick questions here:

1. I tried setting my vcore at 1.65v (max on my P4S8X-X), I then run CPU-Z and notice that my actual ~1.712 and varies at .010 or so, but it's pretty much stable at that value. BUT the moment I run Prime95, it suddenly dips to ~1.612... a 0.1 dip! It stays at that value during the torture test duration. Then it goes back to ~1.72 only after quitting Prime95. Is this normal? If not, what's the culprit then? PSU (i'm using Enermax 450W)? CPU chip? MoBo?
Technically, this is part of Intel's specifications for the Pentium 4. You can expect a drop of about 0.1V under full-load with a well-optimized application like Prime95. See page 10:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/25288502.pdf

Back