• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600 pro newbie help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueskies

Registered
Hi Im a newbie here. I see lots of people having problems with the 9600pro.. unfortunately I bought one (before visiting the forums) and have problems now
Im not a junkie or pro therefore i'd appreciate some help.
Im running

CPU : Pentium IV 2.6C HT
Mobo : ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
Graphics : 9600 pro
RAM : 256 x 2 DDR PC400
(nothing overclocked)

Now, when I play games (I tried IGI2) on certain areas in the game, there seems to be some slowdown in the graphics. Mouse movement preceeds what happens on screen for a fraction of seconds and sometimes it gets pretty hard to aim. Tried Age of Mythology and the same thing happens albeit smoother than on IGI2. What could be the problem here? Is it the AGP card or the Mobo? or something else? Appreciate if someone can guide me thru this...

TIA
Rgds

hi I'm not sure what kinda problems you've been seeing around here but, did u have any previous cards inside the computer, if yyou did, kill then drivers using Driver cleaner.

I used a 9600pro for a while and it seemed to handle games like bf1942 and the like pretty well but mine was overclocked to the limit. I would check in your BIOS and make sure the AGP rate is set to either auto or 8X. The 4X could be limiting your card some.

If that doesn't help overclock it (rather do this anyway)! The 9600 cards overclock really well and you will see a definite jump in benchmarks and gameplay imo.

You have a nice setup there and should be able to overclock the whole system really well after you read around the forums for a while. That should also help your gameplay some plus give you some bragging rights. :D

thanks for the advice
Its a new Mobo+CPU everything so no other drivers installed except the Catalyst 3.9.

I tried Call of Duty yesterday n it worked fine. No slowdown whatsoever on full details... are the other games running on different game drivers which could potentially cause the slowdown?

The COD came with Direct X.9b which I got installed prior to running the game. fantastic game!!...

Will try checking the BIOS today when I get home from work. It should have been set on Auto / 8X AGP.

What program should I be using to oc the card? Any safe oc results which I can use without oc the Mobo?

TIA again

Most on here seem to like rage3d tweaker. you can download it at rage3d.com. Just go up a little on the core and memory speed until you start seeing artifacts and then back down. Just out of curiousity, why not overclock your cpu?

I tried the Auto oc function on the BIOS and the CPU just didnt startup. So I had to return it to standard clock speeds. I'm relatively new to a oc'ing and I don't mind trying to oc the board if its safe coz I can't afford a new one in such short time.

By the way, pardon the stupid question but what are core speeds and memory speeds? What are they for my 9600pro?

Will d/load the program/s and try it out. Thanks

If you have the standard 9600Pro the gpu's clock is 400Mhz and the memory clock is 600MHz (300x2). I read somewhere that a good and safe OC on all VGAs is something like 5%-10% on stock cooling but I've also read about people taking this core to 500MHz+ with some modiffactions of course. I removed the stock thermal goo and applied silver III to my gpu sink/fan. I play games at a 7.5% OC and run benchmarks at 10% but I'm still tweaking. Here's some words:http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=238755&highlight=cooling+mods
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246959&highlight=cooling+mods

Last edited:
stock speeds are 400Mhz for the core and 600Mhz for the Memory. I can take my Tyan 9600pro to 500Mhz core with the stock heatsink and stock cooling. But the memory on the tyan card was rubbish so won't overclock. you can gain the most performace by overclocking the ram.

Another question... does climate have anything thing to do with oc'ing? Im just wondering if people from different parts of the world have different oc results because of hotter / cooler weather and moisture vs dryer climates? Would that change the card temperatures ???

I downloaded the Cat3.10 last night and although it is not recognised by Microsoft yet (beta version) it works fine wt the Call of Duty.

What are trilinear and bilinear settings in certain game option menus?

TIA

Blueskies said:
Another question... does climate have anything thing to do with oc'ing? Im just wondering if people from different parts of the world have different oc results because of hotter / cooler weather and moisture vs dryer climates? Would that change the card temperatures ???

<snip>

Yes.

.... (silence... glares...) WHAT!?!?

Ok, more informative post, the air temperature around your computer directly influences the temperatures of the chips. Makes a lot of sense actually. The local air temperature also effects any air cooling that you would do. If you live in a pretty cool place (or a place with a good air conditioner!), you should be able to overclock quite a bit. However, if you live in a warm area, don't worry all that much, for you can still get decent overclocks. Moisture, as far as I know, doesn't have a huge impact... unless you have a fog in your room, but at that rate I would be worried about quite a few more things!

Now, water cooling isn't effected, as much, by air temperatures and you can get a better overclock with that, but our friend moisture comes in here. Cool water pipes start to make the moist air condence... on the pipes... and while you might be making sure that water doesn't get on your board, are you making sure condensation doesn't kill you?

Both air temperatures and moisture can be compensated for, all in the joy of overclocking. Balancing all those factors allows you to have a bit better of an overclock... however if you are just starting with the overclocking deal, it is best to ignore these factors and just overclock... but it is something to keep in mind.

By the way, I'm amazed nobody has told you this in this thread, but it should be said outright....

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
Enjoy your stay, and hope to see you around. :D

Back