Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

fan on heatsink....wrong way?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 11:14 AM Thread Starter   #1
bigsoomo

fan on heatsink....wrong way?

hey guys i was on another modding website where they do reviews about the new alx-800 and the panaflo fan was on backwards wouldnt that be suckin air away from the heatsink?
Attached Images

bigsoomo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 11:15 AM   #2
unix and linux
Banned

Looks like its sucking air from the heatsink..weird
unix and linux is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 11:36 AM   #3
stamasd

I have had great experiences with fans mounted the "wrong" way. I got a several degree improvement in my temps with a Thermaltake Volcano 6 Cu+ with a fan sucking air out.

Old 12-02-03, 12:06 PM   #4
stan03

yea its on "backwards" but i know some review places try both ways to see which one gives better temps.
stan03 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 12:21 PM Thread Starter   #5
bigsoomo

whoaa i never knew that...

Quote:
I have had great experiences with fans mounted the "wrong" way. I got a several degree improvement in my temps with a Thermaltake Volcano 6 Cu+ with a fan sucking air out.
bigsoomo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 12:44 PM   #6
GlitchOfDoom

Quote:
Originally posted by stamasd
There must be other factors involved, such as a heat source near the top of the fan would blow warm air on the heatsink, but if it was sucking it would be pulling cool air from the sides. But if you moved that heatsource and had the fan running the proper way it would prove to be much better than the original setup.
GlitchOfDoom is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 12:49 PM   #7
stamasd

Quote:
Originally posted by GlitchOfDoom

There must be other factors involved, such as a heat source near the top of the fan would blow warm air on the heatsink, but if it was sucking it would be pulling cool air from the sides. But if you moved that heatsource and had the fan running the proper way it would prove to be much better than the original setup.
No heat source. Open case, nothing else anywhere near the HSF.

Old 12-02-03, 12:55 PM   #8
deathman20
High Speed Senior

10 Year Badge

Hmmm intresting makes me wonder if I could put my tornado on backwards and get better temps. Hmmmm

Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD's / 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
-=The Server=-
Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
3 Gig PC2-6400 | 4x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 1x Samsung F4 2TB
Heat
deathman20 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 01:06 PM   #9
stamasd

It depends on the heatsink. Some have a configuration that works better when blown upon, some the other way.

Old 12-02-03, 01:30 PM   #10
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by stamasd
It depends on the heatsink. Some have a configuration that works better when blown upon, some the other way.
The alpha PAL is a good example. It has a bit of a shroud which forces the air to be sucked off the heatsink closer to its base - not as much air can shortcut the heatsink base and just go straight into the fan.

The most important variable with different fan performance for sucking and blowing is your case and surrounding elements. In most cases with most heatsinks blowing will be better, but there are always exceptions.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 01:39 PM   #11
7keys

10 Year Badge

Yes! When Alpha came out with the fans sucking air off the cpu everybody was trying it. Most people found that it works better blowing. But you never know until you try. I tried it on a few heatsinks without any improvement. It seem you need a shroud of some kind. I put some electrical tape around the top part of the heatsink to make a shroud (for testing purposes) but my temps didnít improve.

But you never know, with the newer designs in heatsinks, some might work better sucking.
7keys is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 04:29 PM   #12
Sniper_83

Quote:
Originally posted by 7keys
But you never know, with the newer designs in heatsinks, some might work better sucking.
That doesn't sound quite right, LOL!

I'll take that into consideration, the enviornment seams to appear as though it would have a bigger impact than the heat sink.

ie. A PSU blowing on an CPU HS.
Sniper_83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 10:17 PM   #13
GlitchOfDoom

Hey, whatever floats your boat.
GlitchOfDoom is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-02-03, 10:20 PM   #14
nodark

my temps improved by turning my fans around too
easily a 3C drop in cpu temp and case temp
nodark is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-03-03, 12:09 AM   #15
Valk

10 Year Badge

would sucking from the heatsink not work better for those cases that mount exaust right over the cpu? I was always a little worried about airflow with two fans sucking air away from the heatsink. its why i run with no side panels. i might try it when i get a better case.

Intel Core i5 4670k@4.5ghz 1.25v - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 Grey - AMD Radeon 5850 1gb - Crucial C300 64gb SSD - HP LP2475W sips/HP f2105 sips - Custom liquid cooling; Raystorm/d5/apogee1u on gpu - Windows 7 Home Premium : still to come; finish rebuilding case, black ice SR1-360, Samsung 740 evo, new storage drive

My Other Stuff
Heat - Watercooled Lian Li PC-V600 - HIME, Watercooled SFF - RCtech.net; Sanwa/VBCRacing/HobbywingUSA/TeamOrcaUSA
Valk is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-03-03, 12:21 AM   #16
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Wherever your fans are pointing, you don't want them interfering with eachother. It's better to have them working together than have them counter one another.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-03-03, 12:28 AM   #17
cstarritt

before i got my blowers, i had a volcano 12 with the fan backwards ducted to a 120mm panaflo on the top sucking air out. i then had a 92mm and three 80mm fans blowing air into the case. it cooled very well.
cstarritt is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool