• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone explain briefly...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

I want to set up a security camera at a location to monitor work progress on my new home.
I want to do it myself as the companys offering the service are charging too much, and I enjoy a challenge.
I have the cam.
I can build the PC.

But how do I get it to braodcast video 24/7? Would I need to set up some sort of remote desktop connection?
Say I used a simple program like "Watcher" as the control interface, how would I go about controlling the PC itself? Seeing as its gonna be up on a pole with no monitor.

I asked a similar Question a while back and someone mentioned using linux, of which I know nothing...would it be worth investigating just for this project...are there plus's with linux that far out-weigh windows?

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated, i'll be checking back frequently, because as usual...I put it off 'till the last minit.

Thanks again.

(heres a technical diagram of my intended set-up....just for some levity)

Attachments

• lazy guy.jpg
    lazy guy.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have no experience with this kind of stuff, but I would assume that if you had the camera take a picture every few minutes or so, and then put them all into an animated gif... you would get a nice time-lapse.

I'm thinking something similar to what they did with KASY0:
http://aggregate.org/KASY0/buildmovie.html

If you got a way to connect to it via LAN/Internet you could use real VNC to do a remote desktop to it.

www.realvnc.com

Or you could setup a webcam that you can access via the internet. If you want I can ask my friend how he did it.

Exactly the kind of thing i'm looking for, thanks man.
What about a webcam accesable via internet? (what would it plug into?)

Back