• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system upgrade (win xp compatibility)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

I currently have A pENTIUM 3 - 600 MHZ COMP running low density sd ram.

i'm looking to upgrade it to a new mobo and cpu and ram.

I'm just wondering is it possible to do it and just put my old hd in and get it to detect everything in my new mobo cuz the harddrive has tons of my network settings to my other comps pain in the *** to redo.

i've heard to ghsot it for safety purposes then on one the the hard drives delete the registry enum key and it will detect everythign and not blue screen me and i'll be ever so merry just wondering ur suggestions and what you all think as well?

pentium 3 - ANYTHING that is compatible. was leaning on pentium 4 but it doesn't matter.

Using the same windows install after a motherboard upgrade is not reccomended, but it should work just fine if you install all the new drivers. There are reasons why it is not the best idea, but you can do it if you want. It should recognise your new hardware on boot without any registry editing...

If you just want a cheap upgrade, AMD is probably the way to go, get a cheap 1700+ or 1800+ tbred-b and a nice motherboard and you'll be set for cheap.

ya the thing is only used asa slight firewall which filters work and the only other thing it does is internet on occasion and fax!

but the p3 is pretty beat up so i wanna get rid of it anyways.

it would work ok as long as you dont go from a via chipset to non or vica versa,,, if u do make sure you unsinstall them

vincent_1985 said:
ya the thing is only used asa slight firewall which filters work and the only other thing it does is internet on occasion and fax!

but the p3 is pretty beat up so i wanna get rid of it anyways.
In that case, you mightwant to consider swittching to linux, if you chose the correct distro, you'll end up with a lot less overhead.

ya but no one in this office including me has ever touched linux. besides win xp works just fine on it and it cost for the xp operating system which we just got so no point letting it get to waste.

i'll try to find out what chipset it's from and what not and maybe we can go from there. any programs i can use to get it quickly? keep in mind it is a p3 board.

Back