• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Purchase new BIOS chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusgizmo

Disabled
I've been looking around for a place to purchase a new bios chip for my A7N8X, and i just cant find one. I even emailed asus, and i got no reply, wtf? does anyone know where i can purchase one?

i was hoping to purchase a new chip, not something off of ebay. the chip in my mobo is damaged, and needs to be replaced, not reprogrammed. i did see the link though for the chips they were hawking.

i personally toasted it, so i dont believe that i can get it repaired/replaced under warranty. i just need the chip.

i dont know anyone with a A7N8X that lives near me, so thats not really an option. Sorry to be short with everyone, but I went through all of this before in trying to get my comp running, give me the benefit of the doubt, and help me find a retailer for A7N8X BIOS chips.

The best place for buying BIOS chips is

www.badflash.com

The customer support is terrific - if you are unsure as to what you need to order than just Email them with your board model, and revision, and Jack will straighten you out - they charge ~$25 a chip + shipping = it'll arrive in a day or two. Great website - I wish more people knew about it.

Although, I reccommend you buy a "BIOS Savior", so that if this happens again you won't need to fork out more money for another chip. You can get a BIOS Savior (You need model RD-1 PMC-4) from www.frozencpu.com for a great price - or from www.pcmods.com . Make sure you email them after ordering, so that they know to flash it for you - otherwise they will ship it to you unflashed (and useless to you, untill you get a replacement chip).

I'll bet that your chip is simply corrupted, and not physically destroyed. The BIOS Savior is not only a replacement BIOS chip for a small amount more, but is also a backup chip - you can re-flash your old, corrupted chip easily with it. I have one for my NF7-S, and although I haven't had any BIOS issues yet (unlike my old A7N8X...) I find the BIOS Savior to be useful as a safety blanket, and to use two different BIOS files for testing, and easy, flash free switching.

If you have any questions please PM me here on the forums - I would be glad to help.

A bit off topic... but before my deluxe board, i had a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, a via kt400 chip. Though the asus is a huge improvement performance wise, i miss some really neat features on the gigabyte, mainly DUAL BIOS. All recent gigabyte boards have a two BIOS chips and you can run your system off of either one. Flashing BIOS was so much less stressful with it... And the gigabyte boards are SOOO much nicer aesthetically...

Anyway, I really am hoping the two BIOS feature catch on with other manufactures

pcmods is $1 cheaper and has free shipping for this item. I don't know if frozencpu had free shipping or not. PCMods did charge a buck for handling. I hope they wear anti-static stuff while doing the handling.

felinusz, thanks for the help. the chip is gone, i couldnt even recover it by removing everything except floppy, and having flash software with unattended switches on. so thats that. ill look into the bios savior, but i dont think ill need it. i have a bit more knowledge on overclocking after that incident that killed my chip. i think that if it were not for the bootblock program, my comp would be a smoking piece of toast right now. so cheers to asus!

Back