• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I get for $150 (motherboard,cpu and ram)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flakk

What can I get for $150 (socket 478 motherboard and ram)

I'm building a cheapy web-browsing computer for my mom. I have lots of parts already and all that is left to get is the motherboard and memory. I'd like the mobo & ram to cost less than $115 together

My requirements so far:
- Socket 478 motherboard with usb 2.0
- Motherboard preferably of a major or fairly major brand name like Asus, Abit, ECS, MSI (want a decent quality mobo)
- Support for a celeron 2.2ghz (400fsb)
- 512mb PC3200~ ram (or whatever speed's best for this cpu/motherboard)

any suggestions on the motherboard? Thats my biggest unknown really... The rest is easy from there. Thanks in advance for your help.

- edit -
i changed from and AMD based system to intel. found a celeron 2.2 "lying around" :)

Last edited:
newegg refurbs! You can find a mobo for under 50 bucks...cpu I would look for a old Tbird or duron that has a HSF (check anandtech FS/FT forums) for around 35, then you have 65 bucks to find a 512 stick of PC3200....that's gonna be tough but may be doable. Also I doubt your mom is gonna notice PC3200 from PC2700 in this system, and you can find a 512 stick of PC2700 for under 65 too on FS/FT forums.

good luck!

If you dont want to deal with refurbs, I believe Newegg carries BIOSTAR KT400 or KT333a boards for under $60-$65 new. Alot of people like the value in these boards. For a CPU maybe you could pick up an Applebred and a decent heatsink and overclock it a bit. And if she's just surfing, writing e-mails, word processing etc. she wouldn't need PC3200, PC2100 would suffice just fine and is very cheap.

hmm refurbished. good idea.. i'll look into it

i just had a change of plans tho. I realized i have a celeron 2.2ghz that i'm not going to be using now, so now i need a socket 478 mobo and i will use that cpu :) any suggestions on THAT? lol sorry for the switch up.

Back