• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All my new parts come today except...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoPK!!!11

except my SLK900A that should take another couple of days.

Anyways i set up my pc as far as i could, everythings perfect as i know, cables all correct

I was very tempted to try it out i wouldnt overclock it with a ****ty heatsink.. anyways I put this heatsink on it, just abit bigger then the CPU itself and had smallish fan ontop.. I turned on my new rig for the first time.. it powered on, 3 seconds later it powered off.
at 1st I thought it was my antec power supply gone.. cause i may have forgot to switch to euro voltage.. but nope nothing to do with that.. infact nothing was wrong........ i hope
I then switched it off at the back off the psu till the light on the motherboard went out... then turned back on... it turned back on to my delight.. but same happend... 3 secs later it powered off.
I think I figured it out... crap cooling? anyways I'm defo gonna wait till i get my SLK900A till next time i turn it on.
.... How f***in stupid of me..........

So is the cause of the problem. crap cooling yeah? where it powers off after 3 secs

thanks

ps i know this was f***in stupid...

doubt its over heating that fast
just for kicks, i used a northbridge cooler to cool my computer down
it lasted until windows was half way booted up.
I did have a problem once were my computer would turn on for 1-2sec and then turn off. When i tested the PSU with a voltage reader, the 12v was at 14.5. My guess was that the motherboard was switching the psu off as when it reads a higher voltage from the cpu. you could have same problem, so i recommend trying a different PSU.

The 3-second thing is almost always improper cooling. Try booting your motherboard without any pressure on the heatsink: lightly sitting atop the CPU. It will probably boot up, realize a drastic increase in temperature and shut the F down quick-like.

I've seen that happen when I didn't have the CPU fan plugged into the mobo. I had it hooked up to the ps directally. The mobo was unable to sense any fan rpm and shut down assuming the fan was busted. Had to plug the fan into the mobo and then disable that warning in the bios before I could get the fan off the mobo connection.

That heatsink should easily be able to keep the temps low enough to run fine at stock settings. If you want to try out your computer again, make sure the heatsink is on right and like ravistar said, make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the mobo. Thats a nice rig you got there by the way

actually, at first start up, multiplier and fsb are even lower then stocks
when i first got my cpu/mobo and whenever i flash the room it starts up at 1500+

i really doubt the cpu would heat up to 60c that fast..
apply more pressure on my heatsink while ur turning it on to make sure though..

hmm its probably not this but.... make sure that the "power on" button isnt getting stuck and shutting of the pc, that happend to me coz of a broken case :$

How bout going with your original idea... waiting for your new GOOD hsf.

It sounds like the mobo's doing a quick shut down because the cpu is getting too hot. Personally, I'd wait for the new hsf to get there before I took any more steps in "troubleshooting" this problem. At least that way, the new hsf (if properly mounted) will tell you that you don't have a cooling problem.

From what I understand... it's not the specified cpu warning threshhold that needs to be reached, it's more of a built-in warning on accelerated rise in temperature. Like... if a CPU powers on and within 1 second it's 10° higher than ambient, it triggers the, 'whoah... does this idiot even have a heatsink installed?' warning. It might not get past whatever temperature you specified (or the default setting) but the drastic rise is enough to freak the MB out.

vonkaar said:
From what I understand... it's not the specified cpu warning threshhold that needs to be reached, it's more of a built-in warning on accelerated rise in temperature. Like... if a CPU powers on and within 1 second it's 10° higher than ambient, it triggers the, 'whoah... does this idiot even have a heatsink installed?' warning. It might not get past whatever temperature you specified (or the default setting) but the drastic rise is enough to freak the MB out.

lmao yeah ur prolly right.. didnt know motherboards was that smart tho!!!!!!!

/sex0r

I agree with yellowdart and vonkaar ;)

I'd wait for your new HSF........I had the same problem happen to me with a cheap HSF that didn't sit properly on the proc. Boot and turn off.

I'd wait cause I wouldn't want to keep bootin the rig if that truely is your problem........at least if you wait you can eliminate it all to gether

BalliN

That is weird...i forgot the fan on my heatsink on my xp1700 and it hit 80c for three hours, didnt even crash. It is the processor from god! :) Oh, and I'm an idiot.

You might want to check your connections, I had a floppy drive go on the fritz and aparently short out the power connector somehow, whenever i pushed the power button the PS would spin up, click, and die, but the board still had passive power etc to light the status LEDs etc

Back