• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An35n temperature sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blizzard

Registered
When I use mbm5 with my An35n mb it seems like the cpu temperature isn't coming from the diode on the cpu, the reason I say this is because the temperature literally does not change at all for me (ie idle to load), which indicates to me that it must be the socket sensor that I'm getting my readings from. Does anyone know for sure if it is the socket, and if it is, does anyone know if there's some way I can get the cpu's diode temperature?

Sandra picks up the right CPU temps. Check that and see if you are mapping MBM to the right sensor. MBM is kinda confusing and it takes me a couple tries to read the right sensors.

There is a lot of talk that the CPU temp reported is up to 10C below the actual temp since there is no sensor on the CPU. I went through that with my EPOX board, and it probably applies to any board.

I use Case = ITE8712F-1 and CPU= ITE8712F-2

These readings are with-in 1-2C from what I read in BIOS and Sandra. I agree with DrShivas on the low reading, I've heard of this with many people and seen it in my own rig this last Summer before I put the AC here in the computer room (actually a converted breezeway ;) )
Regards, Balrog

Well those are the sensors I'm using, are you sure that the cpu sensor is the one on the processor and not the cpu socket sensor?

My cooling is good but I would expect to see some variance in the temperature from idle to full load.

Also I used the retail heatsink for awhile at first and the temperature slowly raised with load, which is a pretty good indication that I'm looking at socket temperature and not cpu die temperature. My previous mobo used die temperature and temperatures would change immediately, not slowly rise or slowly fall.

I believe you're correct Blizzard, don't you need a thermistor to read core or is it from the motherboard itself?

keaven the Sandra readings come from the Motherboard Information module.

Regards, Balrog

I dunno, the Amd XP processors (not sure about bartons) have a diode built into the chip that you can read, which my epox 8k3a could read those, I'm not positive if the Bartons have this or not, I would guess they do, but maybe not?

It was put in the processors about the same time Intel started putting it into theirs to dynamically clock down processors in case of overheating (there were some p4 tests where people took off the heatsinks while the p4 was running to see if it could underclock itself fast enough, which it seemed like it could (the amd's couldn't btw hehe))

All XP's have that internal diode, just like all Intel chips have had like, forever.

If the shuttle really could read the processor diode, why would there be a thermistor in the socket? I'm guessing 'cpu' in bios means 'in socket thermistor'. And that sucks, because the in socket thermistor doesn't even touch the back of the core, so it's worthless. It annoys me to no end that the AMD board manufacturers have not gotten this right after so long.

I would really like to know what the 'PWR' bios temp reading means.

Well my epox had the in socket sensor also, but in mbm you could pick the in socket one or the cpu's diode. The socket one is fairly worthless for my watercooling :(

In my case the socket one is most likely reading higher than my processor actually is, seeing how I'm not going to be able to cool the whole socket to the same temperature as my processor (the socket is already 4c lower temperature than the case temperature, permanently)

i have an an35n ultra.. and i found that ITE8712F-2 in MBM5 has the closest match to my readings on sandra and bios.... im still not sure which sensor should i believe...

None of them! :D I just fiddle with my settings until they're all close and figure its probally 10-15C lower than reality and go from there. I believe the best option given the hardware would be to add a thermistor directly under the CPU but I'm content with what I have and keep MBM5 on the task bar so I can watch whats going on.

Regards, Balrog

im sorry...
i found that ITE8712F-2 in MBM5 has the closest match to my VOLTAGE readings on sandra and bios.... im still not sure which sensor should i believe...

Thats cool, go with that, everyones rig is always a little different. I keep MBM5 on task bar like I said and I keep in mind that it may read a bit low, so if it starts to climb much I turn up my fans.

Regards, Balrog

Not unless you're running a 1700+ DUT3C on 1.8V @220FSB X10.5 w/ 2 x 256mb Buffalo/Winbond PC3200 @7-3-3-2.5 timings on auto voltage powered by a Fortron 350 PN series PSU with tweaked rails reading 3.44V -5.24V - 12.47V :D Ya see everybodys rig is different which makes them run and spec differently, even if we had identical components set to run exactly the same they wouldn't. There are far too many variables even with-in the same product that effect performance and specs.

Regards, Balrog

Back