• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

768MB in an nForce2 - is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blauwerks

I am currently running TwinMOS 256mb in a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. I want to add more RAM, but I am nit sure if it is worth doing 2 x 512mb or 3 x 256mb. I need at least 768mb due to file sizes I work with, but would rather not spend the extra cash on 1GB if I don't have do.

In short, what I want to know is how much of a performance hit would I take by running all three slots full (3 x 256mb) versus running in full dual channel mode (2 x 512mb)? Would I notice the hit? Is there a hit running 3 dimms vs 2 dimms?

I do believe on most dual channel boards with three slots, its recommended to run only 2 sticks... Some of the earlier revision nforce2 boards reported having problems with running all three slots, but i'm not sure if these issues have been fixed.

I think the main problem would be trying to run high FSB with three sticks, however if you are just running stock, then there shouldn't be any problems... Do note that most boards will rate down the speed of the memory for multiple sticks and you may have to run the memory sticks asynch with FSB to be stable. Meaning, yes, there would be a performance hit, depending on your current setup.

I would personally advise going 2 sticks of 512, finance allowing. I would try to avoid 3 sticks if possible.

You forgot another couple of options. You already have 256. Why not go 2X256 in slot 1&2 and 512 in slot 3 for 1GB total. That's what I'm currently running without any problems. Currently at 199FSB because I have a stick of cheapo pc2700 in there. It'll be cheaper than buying 2X512 sticks and you won't have to get rid of the 256 you already have.

If you're happy with 768MB then I would recomend 1X256 and 1X512 over the 3X256 combo. It should be cheaper also.

Just some suggesttions.

id go with a gig, it wont cost that much more and will offer better performance b/c u only take up 2 dimms.

Back