• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XGI dual Volari release date

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falcon-K

reported by theinquirer.net

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12972

will be released on december 8th, lets hope to see some finished drivers and finalized hardware soon so we can see some real benchies.

"The firm, which previewed its architecture at last September's Computex, claims that its Volari Duo systems will nearly double the performance of what it describes as "traditional" GPU technology."

heh if their premature drivers were any indication then they are lieing worse than a nvidia pr person :rolleyes:

well the inquirer should be taken with a grain of salt, but if thast true great i cant wait to see the benchmarks.

I think that the low fps are driver related, and in the weeks after its release they will improve. OR they have a good driver that they are holding back until it releases.

On another note, its coming out the day I get my braces off.

I agree. Even when they do get released with proper drivers, they probably won't be anywhere near ati and nvidia in the performance arena. XGI will probably be more of an "alternative choice", but even then... I probably won't ever buy one.

those halo benches are insanely low, i really doubt they can bring it up to ati/nvidia standards.

to me all it looks like they did is just optimize benchmarks and not actual games...i dont see why anyone would want to buy one, they have the worst iq between the two, not nearly as much aa/af and only bilinear filtering instead of tirlinear. unless they are very cheap i dont see these things doing well at all.

I think the actual hardware on the card sounds decent, and they did perform well in SOME tests.

The real stumbling block though is drivers, as I think they would have far less experience in this area than nvidia and ati. If history is anything to go by, it could take as much as a year until their drivers actually fully exploit the hardware, ESPECIALLY for a dual-processor system - that's gotta make everything much harder to optimise. The only question is will they fold by then?

I would say very very low market share for atleast a year... hopefully they've planned for that...

But more competition can only be good for us :D

its true that any competition is good competition but still if you look at what they did do good its kinda misleading, take the ut2k3 benchmark, they did 174 fps in flyby at 1024x768 then in the actual game it did 50 fps in the magma demo at 1024x768. while the 9800 pro(which is the card its going directly against i believe) does 178 flyby and 108 in magma.

if they are going to be around the same price(its a dual core card and their top tier card its going to be around $300 im assuming) it just doenst cut it compared to a 9800 pro, and considering the iq is higher on the 9800 pro than it is on the volari its a no brainer which card to get.

then you look at halo a 9800 pro does 55 fps at 1024x768 and then look at the volari it gets 16 fps. very dissappointing.

quake III results...they did well but who really uses Quake III to judge a graphic cards performance anymore? mid-low range cards get over 100 fps.

the X2 demo showed yet again very poor results, its only a third of the fps that a 9800 pro yet at the same cost and worst iq(it can only do bilinear filtering as of right now and low aa/af)

i think that when they release in the next week or two the very poor reviews will start to pour out and in the computer industry, people dont buy a graphic card hoping that in 6-8 months they will finally get descent performance. I dont see them being here very long.

and eg just cuz the specs sound good doesnt mean its good hardware...remember the 5800 ultra initial specs..:)

While I feel the first generation of this card is not going to sell and perform great, I think they are on the right track. If they work with developers and develop optimized coding for the card much in the same matter that ATI and Nvidia get; I see no reason this line/type of cards will not excell in the furure.

XGI is not exactly a noob in the vid card industry, they know what they are doing. Even if the duo volari line is a poor seller, they have enough backing that a next gen card will probably be developed, correcting the mistakes they most likely will make this time with the new technology.

Last edited:
when I first got my old gf3ti200 I was pulling about 4000 3dmarks, two detonators later that score increased by 2000 marks. And I even bought the card several months AFTER it was released.
If the driver people do their job right, a 200% performance increase would be the minimum I would expect.

With some driver improvements, and improvements to the board and cooling solutions, this could be a very competitive card.

ATI and nVidia better watch out. These guys look to me like they're not to be taken lightly.

they are like nvidia where they only make the chips and not actually the cards like ati right? so what companies are going to be making these?

Falcon-K said:
they are like nvidia where they only make the chips and not actually the cards like ati right? so what companies are going to be making these?

Most likely they will make them themselves first. They have to prove themselves before any company will go out on a limb to produce their products.

As for the AA, well the cards use Supersampling, which in terms of quality is far superior to Multisampling which nVidia and ATi use, however it as a huge tax on the performance.

What Supersampling does is it renders the image at an insane resolution, getting rid of the jaggies, and then shrinks it down. Its gives you much better quality, but you are essentially playing your games at a resolution somehwere around twice that of any of what todays commercially available monitors can do.

Evnas said:

As for the AA, well the cards use Supersampling, which in terms of quality is far superior to Multisampling which nVidia and ATi use, however it as a huge tax on the performance.

I'm not big on needing 200+fps. If it stays above 30 at all times with supersampling, its a winner to me.

cack01 said:

I'm not big on needing 200+fps. If it stays above 30 at all times with supersampling, its a winner to me.

With Supersampling, you'll get in the area of 10fps, heh

Hmmm lets knock this card till its released, there must be something good about this card otherwise its just a waste of money them releasing it, if ther as bad as people are saying...

Back