• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800SE Softmod - using Omega drivers are these the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaunBrewer

Okay, I am using the Omega drivers:

rad_w2kxp_omega_2496c

however I now see an alternative at

http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/download.php

Are these better the same or worse?

Also can I just use the Patched ati2mtag.sys? Does this make the cleanest change (i.e. only change from ATI shipped version).

The softmod worked - no artifacts however I am now overclocking and want to make sure I am using the most appropriate drivers/overclocking tools.

Thanks

Shaun

I didn't think you could softmod an 9800SE card but I'm not sure.

Also as far as I know Omegas are proven reliable and good with gaming mainly, I can't speak for the others as I haven't heard of them untill now.

The W1zzard drivers are the standard ATI drivers, with the patch pre-applied. There is no difference between the two other than the modificaiton of ati2mtag.sys for the patch. (I run these)

The Omega drivers are 'specialty' drivers that have been tweaked and are supposed to be a great alternative to the standard ATI drivers. I believe they also have a checkbox you can click to enable auto-instalation of the softmod (similar to the W1zzard drivers), which would give you the softmod in one easy step along with the Omega enhancements.

Using just the patched ati2mtag.sys or installing with an installer that has the file pre-applied makes no difference. It's just a bit easier to just install and have the mod pre-applied rather than updating the ati2mtag.sys file after installing.

JigPu

The SE's can be softmodded, the problem is figuring out which SE you have.

All the "cheap" SE's came with 128-bit ram and 4 pixel pipelines. You can softmod those essentially to an overclocked 9500 Pro -- eight pixel pipelines but still only a 128-bit memory interface.

The more expensive SE's (like $200+) came with the 256-bit ram and 4 pixel pipelines. Those can be softmodded to honest-to-goodness 9800np's... The only problem? Prices have come down to the point where a real 9800np is CHEAPER than the 9800SE's and are guaranteed to work with all 8 pipelines.

It almost makes buying a 9800se pretty worthless... :(

Back