• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

386 full tower mods (huge pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliendogg

I scored this old 386 full tower, i started tearing into it today, here's a few early stage pics, i will post more as progress continues.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

my plans are to design and build a slide out mobo tray for it, get some shiny aluminum panels, and i have some 1/4inch lexan here, about 5'X5'. I need to get over to lowes to grab some materials as soon as i can get around to it. The front will be polished aluminum, and the sides will be lexan covered aluminum as well, i think. probably a port hole window in the lower portion of the left side panel, I have a 3.5" drive cage to mount in the upper rear of the case, and will have to design a plate for the psu to mount on as well.

U guys have any cool ideas for this? i'm only just getting started so nothing is set in stone yet.

J. :D.

Well, its big, but not too big, so it could be great for something extra. You could showcase the top with something special through a seperate window maybe?

ah yes, the case dimensions are 24"H X 7.5"W X 17"D. A window in the top is a good idea, the steel top allready has 2 large cutouts in it, would be great for a cd-rom window mod. I thought about 2 porthole windows in the side panel, one in the top, one in the bottom. I Allready have a radiator for the bottom front, it's about 9" tall and will just fit under the 5 1/4 cage. I also have the pump, a little giant submersible, not the best, but when this tower is finished it will be housing my web/game server system, so i'm basically looking for silence over extreme cooling performance.

thx for the input, i'm sort of stuck at the slide out mobo panel, i thought of using the backplate and mobo tray from another tower, and a plexi cutout to secure the whole mess to the back panel.. i'm not quite sure how that is going to work out for me yet though.

this is my first completely custom case, i've done plenty of cutting and modding on my towers, but this is nearly starting from scratch. I'm good with cutting, bondo, painting. Also have access to an auto body shop, welder, plasma torch, paint booth.... things of that nature. What i'm short on is $ and time.

J.

Good luck.
I have been having the same kind of ideology, that I like my watercooling silent, seems so much more logical to me. Well, maybe its because I don't OC much, and have really low ambient.

Good luck with it.

I can't wait to finish my old AT case. Its about the same size and it has many hours invested in it.

Juliendogg- Good luck on the mods!!

{PMS}fishy - how come you aren't running SETI anymore?

bafbrian said:
Man that thing is a beast, maybe you should etch that into the case, "The Beast".

There has already been "The Beast". That is what Thorilans case was called. ;)

*edit*
oh...and did someone say etch???? lol

Back