• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you upgrade CPUs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mattlock

Registered
Epox 8rda+
XP2100 revB week 0248
Thermaltake SLK-800, with SmartanII
1x512mb Corsair XMS 3200 low latency RAM
Zalman Heatsink with 60mm fan on Northbridge
Antec 430 trupower
Radeon 8500 AIW 128mb

Currently Oc'd at 12.5x 187fsb = 2,337 (stable)
Temp. 43c load
Voltage: 1.85v
Vdimm: 2.77
Ram Timings: 6,3,3,2

Question:

Is there any point in upgrading my current CPU?

What is the max CPU I can fit on my motherboard?

What do you use your computer for? It's hard to judge if there is a point to upgradeing when we don't know what you use your computer for.

I have a palomino 1800+ and it would be pointless for me to upgrade, because my system does more than everything I need it to do.

Why would you want to upgrade? That system looks pretty fast as it already is. If I were you, I'd get a new vid card. BTW, I have an AIW 8500DV too :D

used mainly for games and general applications. Maybe some video editing in the near future but nothing heavy duty.

i would just put a 80 dollar 2500+ and OC it. Maybe, MAYBE new ram. Or get a 9600 and softmod it. Still depends on if you are saving your pennies for a new system or not. Still if you start down the road of updating this and that you may as well just not or get a new computer. Upgrade one thing if you must, two maybe, but three just forget it

either more ram or a newer video card. No sense in upgrading the processor to get another 100 mhz out of your system. An upgrade to a 9500 series or above would greatly improve your system quality and performance. The ram would be a second option but I'd upgrade vcard first.

snvpa said:
either more ram or a newer video card. No sense in upgrading the processor to get another 100 mhz out of your system. An upgrade to a 9500 series or above would greatly improve your system quality and performance. The ram would be a second option but I'd upgrade vcard first.

thanks

I wouldn't bother. When the T-Bred B XP2100s first came out, I had one running at 2.3 GHz just like yours. A while later, I had a couple of XP2500 rigs running about the same speed. You can't tell the difference. All AMD has been doing in socket A is goofing around with cache and FSBs which only tweak performance a little. It's basically the same chip. If your rig meets your needs, just keep it. Otherwise, sell it and go for an Athlon 64 setup. You'll never look back :thup:

DaveB said:
I wouldn't bother. When the T-Bred B XP2100s first came out, I had one running at 2.3 GHz just like yours. A while later, I had a couple of XP2500 rigs running about the same speed. You can't tell the difference. All AMD has been doing in socket A is goofing around with cache and FSBs which only tweak performance a little. It's basically the same chip. If your rig meets your needs, just keep it. Otherwise, sell it and go for an Athlon 64 setup. You'll never look back :thup:

Dave,
Thanks, I appreciate your "summation" of AMDs chips since my purchase last year. That helps alot.

Mattlock

Same comment as above. I reccoment you bump up the RAM voltage a little more, also you could also change the 6 in your RAM timings to a 11 (I helps you get a higher FSB speed and can help your Memory bandwidth) Hope this helps.

gulp35 said:
Same comment as above. I reccoment you bump up the RAM voltage a little more, also you could also change the 6 in your RAM timings to a 11 (I helps you get a higher FSB speed and can help your Memory bandwidth) Hope this helps.

Does changing the RAM from a 6 to an 11 affect my overall performance?

Mattlock

There no point for you to upgrade the CPU since you're already at 2.33GHz. Even if you get a 2500+ the most you'll see is probably 2.4-2.5.

The extra 200Mhz is not going to make much diffference in gaming. By the time your 2.3 Ghz is too slow to run games, the 2.5 Ghz won't do that well either. Games today are definitely more dependent on Video Cards than CPU. Personally, I feel there is not much difference when you get a pentium or AMD, except the $80 between them that you can invest in a video card.

I can bet that a 1800+ at stock with the 9800 pro will run every single game out there faster and smoother than your current set up at 2.3Ghz with 8500AIW.

Don't change CPU, change your video card.

I'm not sure but I don't believ his mobo is an nfroce 2 mobo nut more likelye a kt333 or 400 mobo in this case his best performance would be his current timings or lower, unlike an nforce 2 mobo which benefits from higher tras settings.

gulp35 said:

well, if he can't push more than 187, i think the northbridge chipset is probably 333MHZ. Could be a KT400.

snvpa said:
I'm not sure but I don't believ his mobo is an nfroce 2 mobo nut more likelye a kt333 or 400 mobo in this case his best performance would be his current timings or lower, unlike an nforce 2 mobo which benefits from higher tras settings.

No, his 8rda+ is an nforce2 board.

Back