• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for socket 478 - what to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornetet

Registered
I'm a NEWBIE... and have a very basic question:

I'm buying an Intel P4 3.0C GHz Processor (Socket 478) .... what custom heatsink fan Manufacturer's should I look at?!?!

Is there a buying guide -or- reviews on which heatsink fans to buy for socket 478's? If so, please direct me to it... thx!

cornetet said:
I'm a NEWBIE... and have a very basic question:

I'm buying an Intel P4 3.0C GHz Processor (Socket 478) .... what custom heatsink fan Manufacturer's should I look at?!?!

Is there a buying guide -or- reviews on which heatsink fans to buy for socket 478's? If so, please direct me to it... thx!

I'd go with a Thermalright SP-94 and a Panoflo 120 or Vantec Tornado 92 using a variable speed control. Despite what you go with here, making sure you use a good thermal grease between the cpu and the heatsink, making sure you apply it properly is essential.

Top Review on Thermalright SP94

Thermalright SP-94 Detailed Look

Last edited:
Thermalright SP-94 definatly, BUT if you're not going to overclock that cpu you might aswell stay with stock hsf.

yea the best intel heatsink right now is the SP94 although i would use a 92mm fan not a 120 mm fan on it.

How does one attach a 120mm fan to a SP-94? I'm running a 92mm fan and as far as I know, it's the largest fan that you can use for it.

There was a similar discussion on this a while ago. Someone said you could use a 120 to 92 mm fan adaptor.

coughman said:
There was a similar discussion on this a while ago. Someone said you could use a 120 to 92 mm fan adaptor.

The Thermalright SP94 comes with the latches you need to hook up an 80mm and 92mm Fans.

I prefer the 92 because it hangs over the edge of the SP94 just a tiny bit and cools not only the mosfets, capacitors, and NB but also the RAM that is nearby which was the entire reason why I opted to go with it instead of the 80.

The drawback with the 92 of course is the noise level, but with a speed control, it works well.

See ya.

Last edited:
I don't think 120mm fans are rated to fit an SP-94 are they? I thought the largest supported fan was a 92mmx92mmx38mm fan, like a 92mm Tornado.

Another vote for SP-94... I think investing in a good heatsink for any usage is money well spent. If you are going to go aftermarket, then buy the best.

I just got a sp94 thermalright heatsink with a vantac 92mm fan.

when i get it installed with the themal artic silver 5

i'll tell u my temperature difference!

Xeon said:

The Thermalright SP94 comes with the latches you need to hook up a 120 or a 92.

I prefer the 120 because it hangs over the edge of the SP94 just a tiny bit and cools not only the mosfets, capacitors, and NB but also the RAM that is nearby which was the entire reason why I opted to go with it instead of the 92.

The drawback with the 120 of course is the noise level, but with a speed control, it works well.

See ya.

Most likely you are thinking of a 92mm fan. You could measure the fan with a ruler or somthing and see how big it really is...and post a picture of your heatsink&fan in your case to show us.

Yep, you're right, I was thinking of the 92 but stated 120. Sorry about that. I've updated my original post to reflect the correct sizes.

Thanks guys.

The 120 would Ummm darn near Cover the entire Motherboard LOL! :)

Back