• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

insulation....questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
lright, I searched and most stuff I got was phase change, and i don't think my pelt setup will need that kind of insulation.

So, with my Maze3-1, I plan on cutting some neoprene that fits right around the block from the bottom part of the block down to the motherboard, and seel it off at both ends with dielectric grease, or where can I get seel string? Does this sound good? Will the back of the board need insulated? Should I do the same here as I'm going to do on the gpu?

For the swifty MCW50-T, I'm planning on using the standard insulation, but getting a peice of neoprene with dielectric grease for the back. But, I will have to cut holes for four bolts that will come through the card, so should I just put dielectric grease on them/in those holes in the neoprene? Then, I was going to get a peice of plastic to use to push down on the neoprenen and just put the bolts through that for mounting pressure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Does dialectric grease cure to become an adhesive? I thought it was... just grease. I'm actually in the same exact boat as you (insulating a Maze4 & WW). I'm using silicone as the adhesive to keep the neoprene to the mobo (haven't quite tackled how to insulate the base of the block to the board - see my thread a couple down)

No, it's just grease, but I was going to use it to seel the place where neoprene might let air under it.

Like a caulk around the neoprene kinda.

Oh, gotcha. From what I've been reading, the dialectric grease is used to make seals that don't need any adhesive (like the CPU socket). Anything that needs to be attached to the mobo, via an adhesive, requires another material. The grease forms a seal, but then the neoprene will still move around (possibly breaking the seal).

Some materials I saw that were used for adhesives include silicone, Dow conformal something-or-another, and something called electrical liquid tape (or something like that, not electrical tape).

Yea, but it shouldn't require that if your neoprene is thick enough, you should just have to seal the top and bottom of the neoprene, because the neoprene should compress and try to expand against the motherboard/block.

Or that's how I understood it anyway.

You're right. Neoprene comes in various densities too. You can have a 1/8" think peice & it would be pretty rigid. I'm fastening my neoprene to the mobo just to be sure (damn the warranties to hell).

I read somewhere that there is a chemical to use on PCB to get silicone off to get to RMA'able status. I'm not too concerned.

I'm psyching myself up to do the vmod to my IC7, so I may be past that point anyway.

Yea, I'm getting an 8RDA3G, and it's going to need some Vmods to get over the OVP.

sandman001 said:

So, with my Maze3-1, I plan on cutting some neoprene that fits right around the block from the bottom part of the block down to the motherboard, and seel it off at both ends with dielectric grease..

you gonna want around the area where the peltier and the cold plate is all well insulated. Remember... one side of the neoprene come sticky.. so it self bonds. Don't forget to protect the CPU pins/ or socket holes. Even more importantly, don't forget the area inside the socket. A simple watercooling+peltier will be strong enough to cause condensation inner part of the socket and inside the socket holes.

Will the back of the board need insulated? Should I do the same here as I'm going to do on the gpu?

Yup, if you don't, it could short out the pins on the backside.
Yup, same for the backside of the GPU az well.

For the swifty MCW50-T, I'm planning on using the standard insulation, but getting a peice of neoprene with dielectric grease for the back.

The MCW50T package comes with the neoprene designed to fit on the back of yur card. you dun need to get more since you be just pelt+water cooling.

Alright, thanks Pikachu, I've heard that the thing that the Swifty MCW50-T comes with, doesn't work well, and it can get air under it after an amount of time.

sandman001 said:
Alright, thanks Pikachu, I've heard that the thing that the Swifty MCW50-T comes with, doesn't work well, and it can get air under it after an amount of time.
yea.. that's true. the resistors on the back of those GPU are pretty tall. It still isn't bad enough to be considered a problem when pelt cooling but if you are really concerned, you could use dielectric grease on there first, just the area where the air could easily be trapped around the resistors. Then apply the neoprene. Sizes vary depending on how much you want to cover of course.. There are so many ways... so many ways to insulate/protect these thangs... I used some silicon sealant on the back of my GPU and been working just fine for ages.. it's pelted + chilled water.

dielectric grease is fine.. easy to remove later on. I wouldn't recommend using sealant though.. it's a bit hard to remove. For my current card, I use none of the above, he... he..... I use home-made.. and super easy to remove. This isn't for a normal pelt+water cooling though.. it's more appropriate for supercooling levels. ;)

Last edited:
i used rtv silicon.. horrible mistake..
think its fine if u put dielectric grease inside the pin holes of the socket?

just wondering, i tried that with rtv silicon because i wasn't planning on getting a new cpu. got beeps on boot up

Back