• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+, 2600+, or 2800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaNCiDMiND

Registered
I'm sorry if this sounds newbish, but i'm new to these forums. I've read quite a lot about the 3 CPU's in question, but i'm still having a hard time deciding which to order for the PC i'm building. All the specs are listed in my sig. I've read that some people have clocked their locked 2600+ barton up to 2.4ghz, but does that out perform a locked 2500+ barton at 2.2ghz? How does a 2800+ compare? Will my Mushkin PC-3500 memory support fsb's around 230? If so, i think a 2500 with a multiplier of 11 would get up to 2.5ghz. I'm really new to all this and i'm hoping to clock my system to around 2.5mhz or higher.

Thanks for your help in advance

_rancidmind

First off Welcome to the Forums!!!

Second would be to please read this thread before the sig hunters get you ;)

From a price point of view you still can't go wrong with the 2500+. Even though they are locked now. With a high fsb and great cooling you should still be able to get a decent OC with them. From reading other posts your Mushkins should be able to handle most anything you throw at them. So I would say go with the 2500+, never hurts to save money :D

just to add to this? is it only the 2500+ that is locked? or all bartons are locked? also...what memory do you reccomend if im getting so,me now

im pretty sure they are locking bartons durons and XP's and the only ones not locked are the 64 bit proc's

Hi n00b
You may want to consider an XP3000. From looking at what your gonna buy the price difference is not that huge between a locked 2500 and 3000. Plus with the 3000 you will be guaranteed a certain level of performance. From my reading not ALL Barton 2500 can overclock well, but most of them do.
I think really if your going to get a Barton your gonna get the best results with a 11 or 11.5 multiplier, so I say if you got the cash get the 3000 or 2500 if you want to take a chance at saving a few dollars.

OK, i think i fixed my sig. Thanks for the warning.

Anyway, are 3000's locked? What is their multiplier? I'd like to get something that i can clock to around 2.4-2.5 with no problem.

I would say get the 2500. 11x200=2.2ghz and 11x220=2.42ghz. 2.2 is about as high as you can go on stock voltage, and 2.4ish is the average top overclock without going over 1.85v.

Back