• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRT monitor dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Causality

My CRT is about 4 years old (used every day) and in the past week the screen has started to shake slightly. Its not noticable in games, but when doing anything else (especially with text) the slight shaking is getting very annoying... Any ideas?

what resolution and refresh rate do u run at? your crt is probably reaching the end of its lifetime.

I usually run at 1024x768 which is pretty low for a 19inch, but I alwasy had the refresh rate at the max, 75Hz.

I counted back and them monitor is just over 3 years old. So I guess its not going to last the typical 5?

I changed the res to 1600x1200 and lowered the refresh to 70. The shaking is still there but less noticable now, weird!

Could be your flyback transformer dying...that usually cuases flickering monitors. Try tapping the sides of the monitor, see if the flickering gets alot worse.

If you care confident opening a monitor and know what a flyback trasnformer is, you might open it up and lightly tap the case of the flyback. If you get more flicker, then the flyback might be getting messed up.

If you don't know what a flyback transformer looks like, then you should strongly reconsider opening up the case. Since this must be done with the monitor on, you really must know exactly what you are doing - poking around in an open monitor is NOT a good idea and I cannot encourage it! ;)

If you know what I'm talking about, then still, be very careful and do so at your own risk!

If it is the flyback, they can be tough to find, but you might be able to nab a replacement for 30-60 bucks.

Have you recently placed a fan or some other magnitized thing-a-ma-jig around the monitor? I had a little tiny desk fan near my monitor and it really messed it up when it was close. Also, try degaussing your monitor and see if that helps.

Breadfan said:
Could be your flyback transformer dying...that usually cuases flickering monitors. Try tapping the sides of the monitor, see if the flickering gets alot worse.

If you care confident opening a monitor and know what a flyback trasnformer is, you might open it up and lightly tap the case of the flyback. If you get more flicker, then the flyback might be getting messed up.

If you don't know what a flyback transformer looks like, then you should strongly reconsider opening up the case. Since this must be done with the monitor on, you really must know exactly what you are doing - poking around in an open monitor is NOT a good idea and I cannot encourage it! ;)

If you know what I'm talking about, then still, be very careful and do so at your own risk!

If it is the flyback, they can be tough to find, but you might be able to nab a replacement for 30-60 bucks.

Would this also be the problem if the screen will flicker off and on quickly by tapping it?

Back