• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I'm sick and tired of hearing "you can't give it more than 12v"

dammit! I want a higher powered fan!

I am not in the mood for taking my PSUs and plugging them into my fans using the 24V...

How can I mod the cheaps ones so that they put out more on a certain line of my desire?

dont BS me either..I know that there has to be a way, and I know the dangers..I have a UPS, so I can plug it into there to test it and make sure that it works, so that I dont blow out the whole house's electrical system..

so please help me out.. :)

ups won't help much, lol!
anywho, i build something for my friend that might be something close to what you want..
i brought a 24v fan off ebay (192mm, i think 330cfm or something.)
got a 24v transformer.
got a relay switch.
wired it up so 12v would turn on the switch letting 120v though the transformer and 24v to the fan. it was insanly loud (probably because it was old..) but it was like 10 bucks and he had it in a server in his basement so he didn't care, lol. hope that helps..

not exactly..I want to make it myself..and make it by modding my current PSUs..

and yes, my UPS will help, because I can unplug it from thewall, so it couldn't even get to my wall..

and taking all my surge protection into consideration, I have over 3000joules protection.

you should really worry about the power..
i meant shocking yourself or causing a fire.
as for modding you psu..
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=790&item=TX-2424&type=store
if u have a voltmeter and some glovers (for safty) test out your psu for 120 volts when psu is on, and 0volts when psu is off.
wire that up to the transformer and you got 24v, case button activiated.
if ur psu is already maxed out though, you will probably want to get higher amp fuse.
did i mention this was dangerous??

//edit
also, there are stronger/weaker transformers on the same site
if u will only run on fan that doesn't use up more then 1amp, i'd recommened just getting the 1amp instead of 2.4 for safty.
might want to put a heatsink on it too.. and heatsrink all the connections.. think that covers it

no no...

inside of the PSU...there has to be somethinggoing on that tells it to make 5volts come out of that red wire..and 12 out ofthe yellow...

I want to tell it otherwise, and make it ** comming out of the *** wire...

catch my drift now? :)

that would be the transformer/mosfets.
you can't change those to different voltages (unless you take them apart.. and no you don't want to do that :-/)
you have to replace them

It would be very simple to build a 24v linear PSU (Computer PSUs are switch mode - much more efficient, but MUCH more dangerous if you screw them up). I myself have made a 18v linear one (regulated, +- outputs and 3A max current). Encapsulated pre-bought transformers are pretty safe as long as you haven't got wires dangling everywhere coming out of the mains.

For fans the most basic of circuits is needed, as they aren't too picky about noise on the voltage lines. They also don't require tons of current.

061203-simplePSU.JPG

As always WORKING WITH MAINS VOLTAGES IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Last edited:
a little too complicated for me now..maybe once I get more experience..

Foxie3a said:
a little too complicated for me now..maybe once I get more experience..

If you ain't up to building a PSU like that then DEFINITELY don't go messing around in computer power supplies...

lol reminds me of when i toured a hydroelectric damn with my class in Switzerland and the guy said in his oor english, "u cee those *points to towers with wires connected to them* you touch them you will be vapporized, it is over a million times more than what is needed to stop your heart *smile* now vee are going into zee turbbine room, anything painted orange is electic and will kill you if you touch it *goes intoa room filled with orange paint* *i put my hands in my pocket and resist urge to touch roange paint*

lol...maybe u shouldnt be talking about his english when u cant type right :D

hehe jk

yeah, i also get the urge to do things im tol dto not do :D

man, i'd be so dead if i went inside a place like that
but orange isn't as tempting as a jacab's ladder!!
*zzzzzzaaaaap* *ouch* *zzzzzzaaaaap* *ouch* *zzzzzzaaaaap* *ouch* *zzzzzzaaaaap* *ouch*

dalilman52 said:
wait...jacob's ladder? sounds familiar...cant really think of it now...

u know, that completly useless thing they put in old horror movies, lol
very high voltage, oxidizing air, making a cool sound, light effect.
like i'm talking 10000 volts (i think?)
jacobflyback.gif

good stuff

Back