• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s v2.0 & memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
greetings one and all.

nf7-s v2.0,twinmoss 512mb pc3200(cas3),xp2400+,gforce fx5600(256mb),550wpsu.

I'm oc'ing at the mo with 200x10.

I'm going to upgrade my memory but am totaly unsure what to buy?I'm going for 1024mb.I do a LOT of digital Imaging using Photoshop.

I know that cas2 is better than cas3 but that's the limit of my knowledge.

My machine is well stable at the mo and it does oc more.
If I want to up the fsb do I need faster memory or better memory?

Also what are good timings?This is where it gets really confusing.

I would recommend getting either Muskin Level II PC3500 or OCZ EL Limited Edition PC3500 as these are both bh-5, however, any other memory that also used bh-5 will be good also, such as kingston. Both of these chips have timings of 2-2-2-5, and are the best you can get.

Thanx

I was leaning towards ocz but people swear by kingston,crucial etc.
I've never haerd of ocz or mushkin.

I suggest 2 sticks of 512, Mushkin, Corsair and OCZ are all good but I would personally get Somthing like this Buffalo 3700 or 4200
one uses BH-5 and one Hynix, the top memory of other manufacturers such as Mushkin and Corsair use those same chips as well, this is just cheaper and doesn't have a fancy heat spreader.
The one thing about te 4200 is that I have heard of it not running at spec, however the other manufacturer's memory with the same chips are rated slow and get way over spec, while the instances I have seen the buffalo not hit spec it was quite close and at a higher mhz than the others.

What about dual channel.

Errrrrrrrrrr what does this mean?and would it be beneficial to digital Imaging?

444 said:
What about dual channel.

Errrrrrrrrrr what does this mean?and would it be beneficial to digital Imaging?

Dual channel increases your speed a lil and it would be beneficial, not just to image editing but anything (don't know if the differnce is noticable). For dual channel you need two sticks (prefrably the same size and brand), but those dual channel packages are mostly gimmics, sure they will work for sure but two sticks of the brand/model are almost just as gaurenteed anyways.

From what I understand, it sends half of the data to each stick so the read/write time to the memory (as well as the total send/recieve time) is less (theoreticly half but it doesn't really work that well) for each bit of info, kinda like raid 0 for memory.

I'm currently running 2 X512 (1gb) Mushkin Level II Black (CAS 2.0) on my NF-7s / Barton 2500 and it's smokin'. A great benefit of having a gig is you can set windows to run without a paging/swap file. This really speeds things up.

I paid $280 at Newegg.

Back