• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glue in my AGP slot, will this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What kind of glue, and how much?

Rather than risk an expensive AGP card (these days, many are quite a bit more expensive than the motherboard they reside in), I'd take pains to use something sharp to take all visible traces of glue out, then use contact cleaner to blow out any remaining residue. Whatever you use, have steady hand to avoid damage to the electrical contacts in the slot. Make sure you have good lighting to look down in the slot and see that all of the glue is gone from the slot.

That is what I would do.

I used Krazy Instant Glue, there is some on the RAM and PCB of the video card, as well as a little bit inside the AGP slot.

Oh, by the way, I've been using a nail file and an exacto knife to try removing as much glue as possible from the interior of the Slot. I also have some glue on the Video card where it connects to the mobo, which I've tried multiple times to remove but haven't succeeded. However, I did try putting a Geforce2 into the computer, with no luck.

Sorry for the double post, I felt that you should know.

Okay I'm sending in the Mobo for replacement. My video card is ruined and my warranty on that expired.

Does anyone know a video card as good as or better than a Geforce4 Ti4400 that is very cheap?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Bummer.

GF4 Ti4200's are a performance bargain these days, and still offer pretty good performance. Especially when overclocked.

Mine scores over 12,000 in 3D Mark, with an XP1700 @2.3 (209x11) and only 4X AGP. Though I think the main advantage of an 8X AGP might be that they come with faster memory than the older 4X cards do.

No doubt, that is a better card than a Ti4200 (or probably any GF4). If you have the cash, definitely.

But I've seen Ti4200's dipping down to the $70.00 to $80.00 range.

All a matter of how fat your wallet is.

Mine's pretty slim these days.

Don't give up quite yet! There is a product called "Goof Off" that will remove damn near anything. If it was Krazy Glue you used it very well might be able to clean it off of that vid card. Give it a try. You should easily be able to find it at a local hardware store. Comes in a little yellow can and is typically found near the paint and paint thinner type stuff.

Aktunka said:
Don't give up quite yet! There is a product called "Goof Off" that will remove damn near anything. If it was Krazy Glue you used it very well might be able to clean it off of that vid card. Give it a try. You should easily be able to find it at a local hardware store. Comes in a little yellow can and is typically found near the paint and paint thinner type stuff.

I guess I can make a last stand and try that, it has been about 4 days of trying different materials to remove the glue :(

Oh wow lol I wasn't expecting it to be that bad hehe. Anyone know if krazy glue is conductive at all? If it isn't conductive, and you don't mind if it looks ugly, you can just try to clean the contacts on the connector and leave the rest alone. Anyhow yeah, give Goof Off a try. I have used it to remove all sorts of gluey materials before, just not krazy glue. Will be good to know if it works. Good luck!

Ahh, you must've been trying to mount some Heatsinks on the card? Well I will attest that Goo Gone, or Goof Off will basically take anything you want off. Its a nasty mix. On a personal note, use it outside, fumes travel before you know it. Good luck with the videocard.

- ThePCGuy

Goofoff and goo gone both are very much the same just different brands will work. They have taken Krazy glue off many many times. It will remove anything you want it to and some stuff that you dont. Becarefull when you use it. As PCguy said....the fumes are not to be under estimated.

Back