• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Xp on SATA raid... how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,
I bought 2 raptors today and I cant figure out how to install Windows on it. Ive read about how others had the same prob, but the responces are always the same: have the raid drivers on a disk and press f6 when windows is installing... then select the proper raid drivers when the prompt comes up... yad yad yad... Ive done all that... loaded the newest raid drivers for windows. After windows finishes with loading the setup files it asks if I want to setup a new fresh installation of windows or I want to repair... I select a new installation and then I get a window that says that windows did not detect any attached hdds. Ive done this over many times and the same crap keeps poping up. I set the bios settings correct: enhanced mode: sata as raid. I know I have raid cause when Im in the bios and select boot options it shows my raid... whats going on? how do I install windows?
see sig below for system specs (minus the 2 80GB HDDs- now replaced with 2 raptors)

You really need to ghetto it, I'm afraid.

You'll need to go to the Silicon Image website, and download the drivers for your controller, and find the .inf file for the windows XP drivers, and put that on a floppy, then use that floppy when the setup asks if you would like to install third party scsi/raid drivers.

I'm sure this isn't the "offiical way" but it's how I got both of my SATA arrays up. :cool:

ViolaDude Please keep us updated, because I am about to buy 2 Raptors for my Rev 1.03 ASUS A7N8X Ddlx.

The newest drivers are not always the best. Depending on the bios revision you are using those drivers may not work. I had to get older drivers to work with my ASUS P4C800E.

Sorry I'm kinda a newbie,

Does this problem only occur when installing two of these HD's together?

Will I have this problem when installing one Raptor?

Thanks

Okay, I solved the problem... on the ASus CD you have to make a disk of the Intel Chipset sata drivers, not viaraid drivers. Under the chipset directory you will find the proper file... it took me forever to find this out. Now Im running the new raptors... WOW!!! they are amazing. I had wd 80GB SE 8mb raid-0 (doesnt compare to this!)...

ViolaDude said:
Okay, I solved the problem... on the ASus CD you have to make a disk of the Intel Chipset sata drivers, not viaraid drivers. Under the chipset directory you will find the proper file... it took me forever to find this out. Now Im running the new raptors... WOW!!! they are amazing. I had wd 80GB SE 8mb raid-0 (doesnt compare to this!)...

Oh, so that's how you do it. Glad to hear it worked out for you. Looks like i just do things the hard way (as usual :cool: ).

Back