General Motherboards
Forum Jump

What Board to buy??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 10:23 PM Thread Starter   #1
Xstatic

10 Year Badge

What Board to buy??

Looking to buy a motherboard for a AMD XP 1800+ Not really decided if im going to OC it or not but it is for a cousin of mine. Im looking for something not so exspensive, Maybe around $50 or so. But i dont want to skip on quality. Doesnt need raid or serial.
Xstatic is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 12-07-03, 09:51 PM   #2
Teh
Disabled

Eh, 50$ is skimpish... You should atleast prepare to fork over about 100$ for a quality mobo. You may be able to find a refurbished Abit NF7 or NF7-S for 50-60$ on Newegg.com. I think you can buy retail Biostar KT400 boards for about the 50$ pricerange also on newegg. If you don't live in the US I think you could try pricewatch or zipzoomfly.
Teh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-07-03, 11:23 PM Thread Starter   #3
Xstatic

10 Year Badge

If overclocking was important then yes maybe. I dont need many of the features the nf7 has. I already own one myself. This new computer im building is for a cousin for christmas. He is not a big gamer and the games he will play arent very intense in graphics. No need for serial or raid or firewire or the extra usb ports. 400mhz fsb is not extremly important either. Just need something that will perform good at a lower price.

Music, homework, and a few games.
60$ is about high as they are wanting to go. Onboard sound would be nice if its good enough. Other wise for 25$ they can get a soundblaster live 5.1.

Backup Rig
Intel C2Q Q6600 | Asus P5W-DH Deluxe | 4 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 | Nvidia 8800 GTX
750gig

My Heat
Xstatic is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-08-03, 02:56 PM   #4
Steve978

You can get an epox EP-8RDA+ for around that if you look around, but if your looking for a solid cheap board I'd say go with MSI I've always liked them for budget projects, I think Shuttle has some nice deals on Nforce 2 Ultra's the AN35N-Ultra is only around $60 and has 400FSB incase he ever wants to upgrade.
Steve978 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-10-03, 08:55 AM   #5
Bailey

Quote:
I think Shuttle has some nice deals on Nforce 2 Ultra's the AN35N-Ultra is only around $60 and has 400FSB incase he ever wants to upgrade
In that price range not much can touch the Shuttle. Not long on features (MCP south bridge), but it's good quality & a fine board for around $60. One nice touch is that it uses a 3 phase regualtor for vcore (nice for this price range).
Bailey is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-10-03, 05:40 PM   #6
deadkenny

A cheapo m/b to consider for 266MHz FSB is A7S333. If you want to OC, the MSI version of the SiS 745 chipset, 745 Ultra, is worth considering.
deadkenny is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards