• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File transfering with YIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

Me and my dad both have Yahoo messenger. But we cannot get it to do file transfering. We are both behind firewalls. I'm behind a ClarkConnect box and he's behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I know ports need to be forwarded. In the help file with yahoo messenger it has port 80 as default. So I had him forward port 80 on his machine in the port forwarding options in the linksys setup screen.
And i did the same on my clarkconnect box as well. But still it does not work. Should we try a different port number or what?
Also I'm running squid proxy on my CC machine. Does this have anything to do with it as well?

What have you guys done to succesfully do file sending in YIM?

Maybe you could try sending me a file. My user name is BigDaddyDGF

Atleast that will tell me if it's my config or my dads.

easiest thing to do is enable DMZ in the router and put the IP that you are using on your internal network. Forwards all ports, but is the easiest setup for a newbie. Also, if you are using XP and have the built-in firewall enabled on your nic might cause problems with that.

Supchaka said:
easiest thing to do is enable DMZ in the router and put the IP that you are using on your internal network. Forwards all ports, but is the easiest setup for a newbie. Also, if you are using XP and have the built-in firewall enabled on your nic might cause problems with that.
I would'nt consider myself a newbie. Maybe a little bit in the networking area. But I do know a little bit. I'm not running behind a router. I'm running behind an internet gateway PC. It's a ClarkConnect box. Its a gateway and firewall PC. And I cannot enable DMZ cause it's not offered in this version. Although the new version does (which I do have but need to install when I get time). But then I also need a third NIC in the PC. Also port forwarding should do the same thing DMZ does without having to open the PC up to the internet.

I've tried changing the original port I forwarded to a different one. But I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Back