• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan at the top of case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

It should be blowing out correct? not in

this is beacause heat rises right? so blow it all out haha

just wondering so when iinstall one it will be all good.

what case do u have? in some cases, it is better to have it blowing in if there is a fan on the psu that is taking air from the top fan blowing in

for example - the x-superalien, otherwise, blow out :D

dalilman52 said:
what case do u have? in some cases, it is better to have it blowing in if there is a fan on the psu that is taking air from the top fan blowing in

for example - the x-superalien, otherwise, blow out :D

But that wouldn't really do anything man, it would just pass air from the top intake through the PSU, avoiding the rest of the case. I vote for blowing out.

dude i dont think u know what i mean, i mean the psu's that have the intake fans on the opposite side of the exhaust fan, not the psu's with the intake fan on the bottom, above the cpu

image.php

heres what i mean

image.php

and another look at it

if the fan on top of the case is blowing in like in the x-superalien solely to cool the psu, then leave it that way

this is a better example of what im talking about here...

aspirealien13.jpg

yea i would still have that top fan blowing out no matter what. your rush of cold air down is gonna get overwhelmed by all the hot air rising in your case. as for cooling off your PSU who really cares. if it is of decent quality it will work under the power of its own fan/fans/lack of fans and giant heatsink, no need for any other air intake. plus a lot of PSU fans are pretty weak, and i know that i want that air at the top of my case out of there, and i dont trust my PSU to do it.

Adding a blowhole can suck the cool air coming in from the front and never letting it reach your processor...leaving a "dead zone"
of heat by the processor. Configuring the fan to "blow in" could lead to some type of pressure equlibrium with the same result.

You can use a cigarette or insent (sp) and watch the smoke to verify this before anyone flames me.

Having rear exhaust fans and a PS with dual fans is usually sufficent for most cases. Adding more fans wont get you that much closer to ambient, if at all. In some cases it can make things worse

Back