• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Data Lifegaurd Tools?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biasos

Registered
I am in the process of building a new computer (first time) and on Future Shops web site it says:

"Use Data Lifeguard Tools 10.0 or later installation software to access the full capacity of your hard drive. Hard drives larger than 137GB require a controller card to utilize full drive capacity."

under the WD Caviar 160GB 7,200RPM EIDE with the 8MB buffer.

1. What is this and is it necessary?

Also, I am planning on getting an Asus P4P800 (best I can get in my area) and was wondering if these are compatible. The online manual for the P4P800 says that it works with UltraDMA100/66 EIDE drives but on the WD site I found for this particular drive:

Buffer to Host (EIDE)
Mode 5 Ultra ATA 100.0 MB/s
Mode 4 Ultra ATA 66.6 MB/s
Mode 2 Ultra ATA 33.3 MB/s
Mode 4 PIO 16.6 MB/s
Mode 2 multi-word DMA 16.6 MB/s

2. Is this HD compatible with the Asus P4P800?
3. What is UltraDMA 100/66?

Any help would be appreciated.

That HDD will be fine on almost all boards. As for the ata100, it just means that it uses an interface ( aka cable ) that can go up to 100mbs. The actual transfer rate for most drives, are well below that ( 40 - 50 mbs ).

For the 137g limit in Windows, check this out. Good luck

The Data lifeguard tools can be found on Western Digital's website:D it is a combination of tools to setup, diagnose, and transfer your current install to the new drive.

Back