• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 92mm Tornado bareable @3360rpm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koolaid

Is a 92mm Tornado bearable @3360rpm?

I'm about to order a SP-94 HS and I'm looking at the Tornado 92mm. I've been reading up on fans for the last 2 hours (never thought I'd reduce myself to listening to fan sounds over the net) and this puppy sounds like the best bang for my buck.

I am running a IC7-Max3, and P4 3.0c @3.3 and my load temps are nearing 60.

In the BIOS of the Max3, I can set the fan speed to reduce by as much as 70% when the CPU reaches a certain temp. I was figuring that I could get by the DBA issue of running this fan by cutting 70% power at near ambient temps. That would make this fan run at about 3360rpm.

Is this bearable for this fan?

Last edited:
It isn't going to be linear. So 30% won't be very low. My 80 mm tornado runs at about 6000 rpm at 30% and 3000 rpm at 2%. At full speed its something like 7000 rpm I think. I can't remember, its too loud to remember things. This is with an 80 mm so its a little different.

Even at 3000 rpm its bearly tolerable.

Okay, I was not aware that there is not a linear relationship between fan RPM and a percentage of that RPM at a reduced temp.

Hmm...

Max rpm on the Tornado @ 12 volts is 5700 @ 84 cfm/ 55 dBA.
The 92mm Tornado @ 12 v is 4800 rpm @ 119 cfm/ 57 dBA.
THE FANMAN:cool:

muhahaha 119 cfm! :p
that's ur sacrifice for the so called unbearable sound. I myself don't mind all too much lube it up and and put a vibration dampener on it to help out a bit

I got 92mm Tornado, so don't even think about running it on full throtle, trust me you'll go deaf if near the pc. I made a simple voltage regulator and now I can control the RPM. The schematics can be found on overclockers.com. I don't really run my Tornado pass 3500 RPMs, can't stand the noise. Other than that, it's a great fan for keeping your CPU cool.

2500 Barton(unlocked) @ 2222 Mhz, 1.75v/SLK-947U&92mm Tornado
512 Mb Corsair PC3200 @ 404 FBS, stock vlt
ATI Radeon 9600 128Mb
2*40G HDD

I had one, and it never bothered me unless I wasn't doing anything.

If I had a game up I was fine at about 10volts, if jsut music something like 9-8volts was nice, and when sleeping around 2400RPM.

For most things, it will be fine, but I'm wondering how you plan on controlling it with your motherboard, as you can't run it through your motherboard. It will burn up the traces/mobo.

I'd just get a smart fan 2.

get a fan controller it's really good when my comp is idle i just crank down the speed of the fan for when i'm chatting or doign whichever when i'm gaming or doign something cpu intensive i crank it up and crank my speakers up with it so u know haha

i have my comp hooked up to a stereo system so the speakers kinda drown out the fan.

i do recommend a fan controller though wouldn't wanan go into the bios to change it everytime!

The tornado when throttled to a lower speed is always going to be louder than a fan that runs that speed at 12V. I know this because I use the 92mm and 80mm Tornado for heatsink testing and regularly PWM it from 5-100%.

The Tornados are serious fans and there will always be motor and bearing noise from them. It's a relatively low frequency (the high pitch of the fans full speed is from air moving lol) and sounds kinda mean. But it's definitely not quiet. Not sure exactly what heatsink you are using, but here is a 92mm Tornado compared to a lot of other 80 and 92mm fans on a thermalright 947U:

http://www.procooling.com/~phaestus/fancomparo.jpg

Tip: think about how much noise you can stand and then size the fan accordingly. This is more effective (in noise/cooling terms) than using fan controllers on loud fans.

Well my system I got it running at 2100RPM's. You can hear it but bearly. At 1700RPM's it stalls out so you can get close to it without stalling you'll have a nice quiet but powerfull fan system.

On my previous system I had an 80mm tornado that i ran at full speed. The noise was bareable unless I wanted to sleep. At first it was pretty loud, but after awhile you get used to it. Just can't run any overnight processes otherwise you will not get any sleep. :D

I used a power transitor to connect to the motherboard, but draw the power from the psu. Only gives 10.5 V but I never run it near full speed anyways. I guess my numbers were off, but the non-linearity is there none the less.

yeah like bret said, you kinda get used to it after a while. the weird thing is how quiet the house is once you turn it off. it just feels like you could hear a pin drop :) . i got my 92mm tornado on a 38mm spacer (from another 92mm tornado i accidentally killed). the thing barely clears the side of the case by 1/4".

So if I plug the 3 pin fan controller into the mobo, it will burn up something on the mobo? I have the IC7-Max3.

Also, what fan controller do you guys recommend for controlling a 92mm Tornado, and a couple other fans?

Thanks!

Sunbeam rhobus or Vantec Nexus.

And yes, running 12 watts throuhg your fan header will kill something.

Will the Vantec Nexus fit behind a case with a swinging cover over the 5.25" bays? I have the chieftec server case with 4x5.25 and 2 floppy bays.

I'm going to order tomorrow since Newegg is out of the NXP-201. It sounds like what I need. With 18w per channel, I should be just fine.

Back