• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

386 Co-Processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TazExtreme3

I have this old 386 laying here and I was thinking about making it a Linux Box or something, if linux will even work on it, (I'm a linux n00b). Does anyone know where I can get a co-processor

Your best bet will probably be ebay, but even then you might be pushing it those things are about but I doubt anyone has dug one up for ebay. Another try would be some classifieds and place a wanted i'm sure somebody has one burried in there old hardware somewhere.

What sort of Linux Box are you considering a 386 wont do much to be honest, maybe a print server or DHCP. You best off with atleast a P133 or thjere about if you want to be in some sort of GUI, but i'm sure you could find some use for the 386!

-Chris

BTW It is an old server, I am also open to any ideas for this machine, It would be a shame to let it go to waste (Well maybe not)

You could play old future crew demo's on it and show it's true power. Back in the early '90's, their demo's showcased the power of computer including killer graphics and sound. I hope the 386 has a sound card. PM me if want the demo's.

I don't know, The old man that I got this machine from (about 8 years ago) might still have some. (or maybe he's dead, not sure):) Maybe it will just R.I.P in a garbage dump.

Cyrix_2k said:
You could play old future crew demo's on it and show it's true power. Back in the early '90's, their demo's showcased the power of computer including killer graphics and sound. I hope the 386 has a sound card. PM me if want the demo's.

I actually have those demos somewhere, and no it don't have a sound card cause as I sayed it was a server

You could keep it around for no apparent purpose :D I've got a 386 I fire up every 6 months or so sitting next to me just because I can :) That, and it has DOS 6.0 :drool:

For actually using it though... Uh... Well, there's not much horsepower, but you could try some very light taksks like firewall or something. Hey, you could even run SETI on it and beat my 'slowest workunit' record of 77 hours :D

JigPu

I believe that Intel made a Pentium OverDrive that works in the same socket as a 386.

Will this be as fast as a normal Pentium? No, 386 systems had slower buses.

Will this kick a 386 all over the room? Definitely.

OK I guess its not the Co-processor that i'm looking for, whats the chip next to the processor?

DX, I am looking for the chip that is next to the processor, Its not the co- processor as I thought before, and its not the processor, Is it the overdrive CPU?

Thanks for letting me know.

I had been debating whether or not to scrap these processors, but thought that I would give it one more try.

It looks as if it will have to be the latter!

Kindest regards,
Neil.

Thanks for letting me know.

I had been debating whether or not to scrap these processors, but thought that I would give it one more try.

It looks as if it will have to be the latter!

Kindest regards,
Neil.

It would be a shame to scrap the old chip. What are you trying to get 4 them,got any pictures?
I have an old Cyrix

Major,

I wouldn't scrap them either but your best bet is to post them on Ebay. Our rules don't permit buying and selling outside our Classifeids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back