• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

#@%!! Counter Strike...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Why is it that I shell out $30 bucks for a game, and then made to jump through hoops to play.

My CD is ancient. But I had to go through the same hoops then as I do now and I find highly irritating.

Sierra On-Line
11-3-99

It's so old that I can't play without downloading a bunch of stuff from file servers that either require:

A. A subscription. I'm not paying more money to play a game I already paid money for.

B. Registration to even let me use.. What's the analogy I'm looking for here... Oh Yeah! Turtles stampeding through peanut butter "public" file servers that have a ridiculous wait time to even start the download.

I've tried the "Update Counter Strike" through the start menu, but it says my internet connection is "invalid" even though I'm on broadband.

So what I am asking you, fellow forum members, is there a better way to get the files I need? Heck, I'm not even sure witch ones I need.

Links would be awesome.

Thank you,

UberBlue

better get used to it, you gotta register with steam to play as well as to update (unless you just want to play on a lan).

Ok, I downloaded steam...

It says "Steam - Updating""Checking for steam updates"

Then

"fatal error: failed to connect to any"

WTF

This is what I'm talking about

omg1239.JPG

I dont know man, but 20 bytes per second might be your problem there. I am on a 28.8 connection and I at least get 2.4-2.5 kbps. Idunno, it could have been the server that you where dl'ing from that was just swamped. I find it rediculous that we all have to pay the price of a few individuals who refuse to "buy" thier software and instead choose to "steal" it. All of those updates is one of the big reason that I have never gotten heavy into Counter-Strike. Hell, when I bought Half Life 3 years ago and saw that I had to dl an 83mb patch to play the damned game reliably and/or online I pretty much gave up on it.

DUDE! STAY AWAY FROM steam AND ALL IT'S EVILS!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you enjoy being ****ed off continuosly due to incompetent programing and just generally poor software, DO NOT INSTALL or DOWNLOAD steam.

Just download the 1.5 update HERE and you'll find plenty of servers to play on.

Remember, friends don't let friends play 1.6:mad:

Remove said:
DUDE! STAY AWAY FROM steam AND ALL IT'S EVILS!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you enjoy being ****ed off continuosly due to incompetent programing and just generally poor software, DO NOT INSTALL or DOWNLOAD steam.

Just download the 1.5 update HERE and you'll find plenty of servers to play on.

Remember, friends don't let friends play 1.6:mad:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I hate it! F*****G steam automatically installs 1.6 on my computer and won't let me pley ever, unless I every time update something and enter my cd-key 20 times..
Besides Quake 1 is a LOT better on-line game in my opinion!

I just recently installed Half-Life again, and just installed Steam and let it do it's thing, I was up and running in a matter of minutes, and I haven't had a single issue yet..I've seen all the previous gripes on steam, and 1.6, however, none of those problems here...

GT2000 said:
I just recently installed Half-Life again, and just installed Steam and let it do it's thing, I was up and running in a matter of minutes, and I haven't had a single issue yet..I've seen all the previous gripes on steam, and 1.6, however, none of those problems here...

I haven't had any problems either. I'm not too fond of having to launch steam just to play Counter-Strike but even then it still works fine for me.

n00bular said:

Unless of course you have to because the league/tournament you play requires 1.6 :rolleyes:

Then that would not be a league I would be in. Remember, it's your choice to play it. No one is forcing you.

i like 1.6 everything is much smoother but some new stuff kinda suk like the shield, and i can only play on LAN which i can't even do i can't get realbots to work

steam is better then it use to be atleast. i use to get errors all the time, and now theyer rare to say the least.

Back